Coco coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

james1974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
This stuff is great no molding if it gets overly moist blocks odors for months can be used wet or dry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Isn't it the best? where do you get your bricks from? I always get them from grow stores because the bricks are usually cheaper and bigger there.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
OK let me just say something... I was at a petsmart one day and saw a three brick value pack for about 12$ (I hadn't tried out coco coir at the time yet) so I thought I'd try it out. I bought it got home and looked on Amazon for the stuff, and it turns out to be about 3.50$ for the same three brick value pack. So moral of the story is: Online usually has better deals.:D

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't use it by itself. My box turtle does not like it by itself. I think it doesn't have enough substance on it's own for digging and burrowing. I use it with New Zealand long fibred sphagnum moss mixed in. The one thing I hate about coco coir is preparing it. It always comes out too wet and I have to spend time wringing it all out.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
tortoise007 said:
So moral of the story is: Online usually has better deals.:D

Agreed, but don't forget to factor in the cost of shipping (if any).

lisa127 said:
The one thing I hate about coco coir is preparing it. It always comes out too wet and I have to spend time wringing it all out.

Not a big deal. I just let the excess water drain away, and it doesn't take long. I believe the instructions say to soak a brick of compressed coir in one gallon of water for half-an-hour. That seems to be a pretty good formula, and the coco coir brick seems to absorb most of that water pretty well. :)

Hybrid

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I am REALLY new with coco coir. Can you guys guide me by sharing some great deals of coco coir that shipped internationally?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
GeoTerraTestudo said:
tortoise007 said:

lisa127 said:
The one thing I hate about coco coir is preparing it. It always comes out too wet and I have to spend time wringing it all out.

Not a big deal. I just let the excess water drain away, and it doesn't take long. I believe the instructions say to soak a brick of compressed coir in one gallon of water for half-an-hour. That seems to be a pretty good formula, and the coco coir brick seems to absorb most of that water pretty well. :)

That's what I do, and in my opinion it is too wet that way. What I often do is mix the long fibred sphagnum moss in while dry and that soaks up the excess pretty good. That way I don't have to wring all the water out.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Target also sells it in their garden section for under $3.00 a block.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
That's what I do, and in my opinion it is too wet that way. What I often do is mix the long fibred sphagnum moss in while dry and that soaks up the excess pretty good. That way I don't have to wring all the water out.
[/quote]

I find the hotter the water you use to soak the bricks the quicker it works and the more it absorbs, but when it's still too moist I do the same thing and toss a bunch of moss in to soak up the extra.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: Coco coir

jjsull33 said:
Isn't it the best? where do you get your bricks from? I always get them from grow stores because the bricks are usually cheaper and bigger there.

I get mine at drfostersmith.com zoomed three bricks for 4.62 each

lisa127 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
tortoise007 said:

lisa127 said:

Yeah I did use sphagnum moss to but it will grow mold if moist to long but the coco coir has yet to let any mold grow at all.

Hybrid said:
Hey guys,

I am REALLY new with coco coir. Can you guys guide me by sharing some great deals of coco coir that shipped internationally?

Try drfostersmith.com

lisa127 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
tortoise007 said:

lisa127 said:

If your ringing out water from the coco coir your just useing to much to break it up.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
redsn8k said:
Can you plant in this stuff?

You can start seeds in it. My palm trees came in coconut coir. Generally, it's like peat moss; it provides good drainage, but keeps adequate moisture. That is, in fine coco coir, which is sometimes called coco peat. The chunky stuff is just too coarse; better used as ground cover, imho.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

Caboose

5 Year Member
Is this the coco thing everyone is talking about for substrate ImageUploadedByTortForum1376350670.112889.jpg

My Sulcata Michelangelo[TURTLE]
and my RedFoot Raphael [TURTLE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
In Coppell Texas it is $6.95 for the 3 pack at my Petsmart. $10.99 at Petco. I have located it online but not any cheaper than my Petsmart which is on the way home from work. I usually buy 2 or 3 three packs at a time. I grow my tort food in it as well and when I change the cages I dump it in the garden under the stairs. Soon that will be one pricey but awesome garden!

rayneygirl

5 Year Member
SoCal
i use it mixed with hay for my sulcata, most of the coco coir i put in her hide thinking it might help with humidity, but its scattered through out her enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.