"Clarification" Is this so Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
cherylim said:
grogansilver said:
My friend who ever you are? are you a big fan of the pet smart or pet co chains out there? have you ever seen what those store's put in their tortoise Enclosures that they feed their tortoises! a piece or two of carrots! and their tortoises look half dead! their the guys who are the ones you should be discussing food preparations with! their the ones that have all the money and do nothing for there animals don't come and criticize me on a personal level or challenge me in a public forum to gain popular sympathy from fellow users on here! I bet you have never in your life done a nice thing for any animal that needed help! me Ive actually paid to buy a tortoise from a places or places like that that looked like they were gonna die took them home feed them brought them back to being active and hardy and looking good and then returned them to have a fighting chance of being bought by someone who might appreciate that animal so don't tell me that i criticize people when i don't! i just feel my beliefs on raising animals and taken care of them my own way are the right way and i have never lost an animal that been under my care!

Sorry, I've been staying out of this thread for a number of reasons so far, but are you saying that you buy tortoises from pet shops, take them home, and when you're satisfied you've done your part you return them to the pet shops where they weren't looked after properly in the first place?
Nope! dont know what your talking about!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I'll be completely honest here... My only concern is the length of time that you have these animals before you "flip" them.

In a nutshell, they are your animals and it is no one's business what you do with them. However, when you get an animal, and not only put it right in with your existing animals without a quarantine, but then put it up for sale the very next day - you have absolutely no idea whether that animal is really healthy, or has contaminated your existing animals.

You could be selling someone an animal that is sick, and I don't find that responsible.

I have no issue with anyone buying or selling. Many people do it to make a living. You stated that you are doing it to find your "perfect" breeding groups, or just that perfect tortoise that you want, and that is fine too. But I do strongly urge that you up the strictness of your quarantine practices, and at least give the tortoises that you purchase some time to settle in and observe their health as well before putting them up for sale. That has got to be horribly stressful for them.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
grogansilver said:
cherylim said:
grogansilver said:
My friend who ever you are? are you a big fan of the pet smart or pet co chains out there? have you ever seen what those store's put in their tortoise Enclosures that they feed their tortoises! a piece or two of carrots! and their tortoises look half dead! their the guys who are the ones you should be discussing food preparations with! their the ones that have all the money and do nothing for there animals don't come and criticize me on a personal level or challenge me in a public forum to gain popular sympathy from fellow users on here! I bet you have never in your life done a nice thing for any animal that needed help! me Ive actually paid to buy a tortoise from a places or places like that that looked like they were gonna die took them home feed them brought them back to being active and hardy and looking good and then returned them to have a fighting chance of being bought by someone who might appreciate that animal so don't tell me that i criticize people when i don't! i just feel my beliefs on raising animals and taken care of them my own way are the right way and i have never lost an animal that been under my care!

Sorry, I've been staying out of this thread for a number of reasons so far, but are you saying that you buy tortoises from pet shops, take them home, and when you're satisfied you've done your part you return them to the pet shops where they weren't looked after properly in the first place?
Nope! dont know what your talking about!

I'm not clear on how it is that you don't know what she is talking about. You stated in your post verbatim, "Ive actually paid to buy a tortoise from a places or places like that that looked like they were gonna die took them home feed them brought them back to being active and hardy and looking good and then returned them to have a fighting chance of being bought by someone who might appreciate that animal".

I interpreted that to mean the same thing that Cheryl did, that you bought tortoises from pet stores in poor health, nursed them back to health, and returned them back to sell. If you really do that, it is commendable.

If that is not what you meant, then what exactly did you mean by that statement?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Kristina said:
I'll be completely honest here... My only concern is the length of time that you have these animals before you "flip" them.

In a nutshell, they are your animals and it is no one's business what you do with them. However, when you get an animal, and not only put it right in with your existing animals without a quarantine, but then put it up for sale the very next day - you have absolutely no idea whether that animal is really healthy, or has contaminated your existing animals.

You could be selling someone an animal that is sick, and I don't find that responsible.

I have no issue with anyone buying or selling. Many people do it to make a living. You stated that you are doing it to find your "perfect" breeding groups, or just that perfect tortoise that you want, and that is fine too. But I do strongly urge that you up the strictness of your quarantine practices, and at least give the tortoises that you purchase some time to settle in and observe their health as well before putting them up for sale. That has got to be horribly stressful for them.

Ditto. Good post. :cool:

You stated in your post verbatim, "Ive actually paid to buy a tortoise from a places or places like that that looked like they were gonna die took them home feed them brought them back to being active and hardy and looking good and then returned them to have a fighting chance of being bought by someone who might appreciate that animal".

I interpreted that to mean the same thing that Cheryl did, that you bought tortoises from pet stores in poor health, nursed them back to health, and returned them back to sell. If you really do that, it is commendable.

If that is not what you meant, then what exactly did you mean by that statement?

I would also like to hear your explanation of this. I disagree with Neltharion's statement that its commendable.

IMHO, returning them back to the establishment (specifically petstores or "places like that") you "rescued" them from seems pretty counter-productive. I mean, there's numerous threads in this forum about how poorly pet stores treat their reptile livestock and how they rarely are willing to change their ways. Why would someone who cares about tortoises and spends so much time, effort and money rescuing and rehabing tortoises return them back to the place where they came from?

Status
Not open for further replies.