Chopmeat?

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I am giving her all those things. I tried the venison dog food just to see if I can use it to start getting her to eat other things also. I planned on mixing it with the food.I don't even feed my dog dog food, I feed my dogs and cats raw food.
Good for you! I learned many yrs ago that dog food - especially if it's nationally advertised was crap. Dogs are carnivore - not rabbits. It's no wonder the vets are so busy with them.

I agree... Get 'em to eat something. To get started

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most people that feed raw feel as you do. There are dog foods out there that have nothing added to them. I also have people who give me venison which I grind up and add sweet potato and carrots to. I have been doing this for over 30 years and my father did the same. I've never had a sick turtle and my father didn't either. The only sick turtle I've ever had were one's that people gave me. And....I always say it's just how I do things....not written in stone. I also never said that I ONLY feed dog food. But I do start off turtles who won't eat with the dog food. If you buy a good brand, and pay a bit more, I find nothing wrong with it. But, that's just me. As the turtle starts to eat, I gradually decrees the dog food and eventually there is not much dog food in the mix.
Eventually it looks like this.
17qziq.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Most people that feed raw feel as you do. There are dog foods out there that have nothing added to them. I also have people who give me venison which I grind up and add sweet potato and carrots to. I have been doing this for over 30 years and my father did the same. I've never had a sick turtle and my father didn't either. The only sick turtle I've ever had were one's that people gave me. And....I always say it's just how I do things....not written in stone. I also never said that I ONLY feed dog food. But I do start off turtles who won't eat with the dog food. If you buy a good brand, and pay a bit more, I find nothing wrong with it. But, that's just me. As the turtle starts to eat, I gradually decrees the dog food and eventually there is not much dog food in the mix.
Eventually it looks like this.
17qziq.jpg
Okay a little off-topic sort of but it's my thread so I can do that :) what kind of dog food do you feed your dogs when you're not feeding the venison? Are there any brands you would recommend? By the way I'm taking the box turtle in tomorrow to get her beak trimmed and to check for parasites.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I feed my dogs Wellness canned dog food. I have two Chihuahua's and a Yorkie. One of my Chihuahua's has allergies and it's the only dog food so far that I've tried that she can eat with no problems.
Hope your Box Turtle will be OK.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I feed my dogs Wellness canned dog food. I have two Chihuahua's and a Yorkie. One of my Chihuahua's has allergies and it's the only dog food so far that I've tried that she can eat with no problems.
Hope your Box Turtle will be OK.
I have never fed wellness canned. Back when I did feed kibble I did try the dry food and it did not agree with my dog at all, she looked awful so I never tried it again. I buy some raw frozen commercial diets but I also grind up my own. I usually have some cans laying around for when I forget to thaw something out :)