chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

2tots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i understand that torts are vegetarians, which made me even more surprised when i saw my little tort trying to finish off some boiled chicken i made for the dog. is it going to make it sick? does it need protein? thanks!!

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
They will eat many things that are not good for them, and protein foods like chicken are NOT good for them. Keep them away from it.

2tots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RTfanatic said:
They will eat many things that are not good for them, and protein foods like chicken are NOT good for them. Keep them away from it.

yes... they seem to be pretty crazy about food right now.
do they need any source of protein at all (desert tortoise)? is there anything i should be adding to their diet to prepare them for hybernation?
thanks!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I remember reading that there was a study about tortoises getting hit by cars.. They found out they werent just crossing the road, but eating roadkill... I dont know what kind.. but obviously there are some that either need the protien of calcium from bones...

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
Rdfoots and Yellowfoots are documented omnivores and need animal based protein for proper health. Numerous studies have shown this to be true. While other species are definitely herbivores I believe some are in need of further field research. I personally have seen Gopher Tortoises eating carrion they will even chase Turkey Buzzards away from roadkill some times. Maybe Chelonologist has more insight to the Gophers since he studied them here in Mississippi.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am sure Chelonologist would give us more info. I have read that DT will eat carrion sometimes. The boiled chicken should not make your little one sick. I would not make a habit of feeding it chicken but this time won't hurt him. I think a lot of tortoises use many different plants and perhaps even carrion to get the needed nutrients from them. If they are low on one thing they may eat something out of the ordinary to obtain that mineral etc. Just my personal take on it.

2tots

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
thank you so much for your replies. my gut feeling was that if she was so after it, she probably needed it but since i'm a first-time parent, i worried... again, thanks so much![/align]

Status
Not open for further replies.