Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
Marty333 said:
Kenny said:
I gotta agree with everyone, that Chevy doesnt look great.
he needs a vet visit and medication.
and since nobody else wants to say it..I will. I think you're trying your best, and thats admirable, but I think you are in over your head.
Chevy is a young sully and you're already having trouble.. its just gonna get harder from here.
I suggest giving Chevy to someone more equipped to handle a sully, and getting something smaller, and er for you to handle.

I'm not trying to be mean, or offensive, thats just my opinion.

Im sorry for getting upset its just I feel like he basically was saying Chevy deserves better than me. Which pissed me off a bit. The bolded sentence makes me think he was trying to drag you guys down with him but Chevy and I thank all of you guys for your help in support :)

Thats not what I was saying at all.
I said in my post that I think you're doing the best you can. But you're age is a factor.
At some point Chevy is going to become someone else's responsibility. a 15 year old shouldn't have a sulcata any more then they should have a mastiff.
I tried to word my response nicely, and maybe instead of blowing up and being offended, you should respect the fact that I'm voicing my opinion in hopes of benifitting Chevy
I didn't say you can't take care of Chevy, I said you're having trouble, and that its only going to get harder. I didn't say your a bad mommy. but lets face facts.
Torts don't go to college. and 18 year old kids don't usually have a house with a yard.
So how bout you show a little maturity, and instead of saying "How dare you.." maybe say" I see where your coming from but.."
I meant no Disrespect, and again you're doing your best.. But this is a public forum, and I have every right to voice my opinion about the subject matter. You may not agree with it, and you have that right. But thats still what I think and I don't regret posting it.
I'll bow out now, because this is not what this thread is about, and I don't want to clutter the thread .
Best of luck with Chevy.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I said I was sorry but I really think your post was very insulting and no I don't see where you are coming from. Why is age such a big factor? Yes I'm young I have a yard and such and Im going to college close to home so I will have a yard still then. Thank you for bowing out much appreciated.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Marty, there are a few people on the forum who are having tortoise health issues as we speak. It has nothing to do with age. I personally recommended a vet just the day before yesterday for a member who is quite a bit older than you. Just observe Chevy intensly. Learn from what your witnessing. Apply what those in here are teaching. You will be just fine. I hope Chevy is dong better. And, I still recommend a Vet.

M

Maggie Cummings

Katerina...you need to tell your dad that Chevy is really sick and needs to go to the vet. He needs a liquid calcium called Calcionate and that comes from the vet. Chevy is not a throw away pet and right now he needs a Vet so we are asking you to ask your Dad to take Chevy to the vet. You have done very good up to this point but now if his top shell is soft and his bottom shell is soft he needs serious help and that's where the vet comes in. You have been wonderful up to this point...but now it is more then you or we can do. So please ask your Dad.

We have all made all the suggestions we can and you have done everything you can but if top and bottom shells are soft that is more then bird vitamins can fix.

franeich

5 Year Member
Marty. I think you are doing a great job and need to know that some tortoises are just not meant to live. Sulcatas lay 30 eggs and if all hatched and made it Africa would be overrun with tortoises. I think a 15 year old is probably a much better owner than an adult with a full time job and a few kids.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Katerina, I have been following this thread, but being new to torts as well, I don't have the experience to suggest anything. I did just want to say I'm pulling for little Chevy.

BethyB1022

5 Year Member
Sending some positive vibes in your direction, I hope Chevy gets better soon.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I've been following this thread too and really hope Chevy pulls through. I'm am also a very new to tortoises and i really trust the people on this forum.

I am also pretty young (20 years old) and i have a part time job.

Keep up the good work Katerina and like everyone else is saying, i would also take Chevy to the vet. :)

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Marty, I not sure exaclty what the home situation is with your pet and a vet, but I made some calls to vets in the Orlando area. There is a vet (not sure how far from your home) Kirkman Road Vet Clinic
John H. Porter, DVM
38 S. Kirkman Rd.
Orlando, FL 32811
Telephone: (407) 297-7528

They treat tortoises. You can call and talk to Dr. Porter. He wont be in untill friday, but he may be able to help with your situation. And if friday isnt soon enough you should call around to different vets and explain to them your situation. Be honest, tell them your story and you may be suprised. I called 2 vets in your area and one said that the owner Dr.Porter has done stuff on payment play, delayed payment and free so it might be worth your time and start calling.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Katerina, I am so sorry about Chevy...I have been following this thread ( i read most of your posts cause i love you enthusiasm and your pics) Everyone on here has good intentions for the most part. I dont agree with the post about your age being a factor or about chevy going to someone else. I understand he has a right to his opinion and dont judge him for that. However my opinion is i Very strongly disagree with that statement.

I feel you are very equipt. You have more time to spend than i do. Since i work full time. You are very smart and since day one have been asking questions and getting to know the correct proper care for your baby. the love you have for him is amazing.

I am lad you stood up for yourself. Know that not all of us agree with that opinion as you will see that.

Just listen to the advise from everyone and do what you can to get him to a vet. I am sure your dad will understand. If you were here i would take him with you...

Hang in there and know that you have support ! Just my 2 cents.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I hope Chevy gets better! I just read through all the comments on this thread and I hope they all helped! If I had a big yard and I lived in a warm climate year round like you I would probably have a Sulcata too :)

John

5 Year Member
take onarock's advice call that vet my tort is sick right now,the visit was 70.00,but he is showing signs of recovery all ready! good luck john

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
harris said:
I'm missing the part where he said you're incapable because of your age? I support his comments. This hatchling was never given the chance to establish itself since day one, and it is my belief that that is why it's in the current state of health. But the point now is to move forward and learn from possible mistakes made, and get your guy back on the right track. AND, to be open and honest with each other here in a constructive manner and not worrying about offending people. We're all here for our love of tortoises, not people. At least me anyway.

Good points, the little guy looks very young and was probably compromised from the beginning. Maybe a trip to the vet would be of value. I think sulcatas are very hardy and strong by design. I am sure all hope chevy pulls thru this, sometimes others see things from a different perspective and I think debate is healthy. Maybe your parents will help you with an early christmas gift and take him to the vet. I have very little experience with sick hatchlings and can not offer any advice or direction, except take her to a vet for further evaluation. I wish you both the best.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
For the record I got my first turtle (RES) at 8 which I still have. I got my first CDT at 12, I filled out all the paperwork and stuff myself.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Just saw this thread, sorry to hear that Chevy isn't feeling well! Keep your chin up and continue giving him the best of care like you have been.

Hopefully those Cali dandelions I sent will pop up soon and provide a little 'Cali feel good vibe' to your little man!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
dmmj said:
For the record I got my first turtle (RES) at 8 which I still have. I got my first CDT at 12, I filled out all the paperwork and stuff myself.

I was five years old when my Dad gave me the responsibility of taking care of his old box turtle..Frank. I had to change his water every day, and hose down the garden that he lived in. He gave me my first hatchling when I was 10. I gave him to my sister when I got married, or I'd still have him. So I don't think age really matters, and if you have the space, and the passion, there's no reason that a 15 year old can't be responsible for a large tortoise.

laura808

5 Year Member
not able to leave comments for now
wow you guys started out with turts and torts at a really young age!! Thats so awesome. I think that its good to start young, opposed to starting later on in life. Some of the most experienced people here all started tortoise keeping at a young age. Hopefully Katerina and I will someday have 9 yellow stars underneath to our name too! :)

Anyway, I know that Chevy will pull through! He has such a great mommy. :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
harris said:
I'm missing the part where he said you're incapable because of your age? I support his comments. This hatchling was never given the chance to establish itself since day one, and it is my belief that that is why it's in the current state of health. But the point now is to move forward and learn from possible mistakes made, and get your guy back on the right track. AND, to be open and honest with each other here in a constructive manner and not worrying about offending people. We're all here for our love of tortoises, not people. At least me anyway.

I can't agree with you, Harris. As much as I love animals, I put people first and love them more. I cannot value animals higher than people.
MarKat, just keep hanging in there for Chevy. If you've done your best and followed the best advice to the best of your ability, then no one can blame you and you shouldn't blame yourself if bad things happen.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yea Torty Queen, I forgot about the new Markat nickname! I love it! So cute!

Markat, I finally have enogh dandelion seeds to send to you, PM me your address and I'll mail them to you on Friday!

Hang in there Chevy, you can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.