Chat thread 2.22

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
It's been pretty warm here in GA lately. All of my turtles are eating again. I've been getting ready for a garden. Built a couple raised beds today.IMG_20220226_150511902.jpgIMG_20220226_150519365.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I turned their heat on Sunday to check that they are working properly. They are, so yesterday I took my adult female hermanns tortoise and today I took the desert tortoises back outside for spring and summer.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good morning, even though it's a very chilly one (I think 3*) and very very windy. I thought with today's unique date, it would be a good time to start a new thread and put the old chat to sleep.
Sorry Jacqui
Although it's in the 80s here, my house is far too small to fit the whole group into.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Wow what a difference a few days make. A couple of days back we were about 80 and today the ground is white with snow. In a few days. I see they are showing our night time temperature as a negative number.

Glad I spent the last few days doing work outside. Even managed to get a tick attached to my elbow.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wow what a difference a few days make. A couple of days back we were about 80 and today the ground is white with snow. In a few days. I see they are showing our night time temperature as a negative number.

Glad I spent the last few days doing work outside. Even managed to get a tick attached to my elbow.
I started putting my cactus out a week ago...It's been 30 degrees since then, hauled them back in, didn't get a tick, but did step in someone elses dog crap.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm pretty sure our cold weather is a thing of the past. As soon as I can get the leaves off the roof of the tortoise area next to the garage I'm going to be putting up a shelf with rustic type decorations on it. I'll post pictures. I got the idea from a TV commercial for Audible:

audible commercial.jpg

I sent away to Amazon for a couple cheap bird houses, some rustic-looking pots and watering can and a straw hat. I have my own plants to add to the mix. I need to figure out how to 'stick' the items to that shelf so the wind can't blow them off. ANy suggestions? I was thinking maybe window putty?

Last edited:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds kinda crappy..... 🤪 I learned long ago not to rush putting out plants. The only one going out for brief sunlight visits is a mini rose I bought myself for Valentines day.
I started putting my cactus out a week ago...It's been 30 degrees since then, hauled them back in, didn't get a tick, but did step in someone elses dog crap.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lunch with Jeff at my favorite Mexican place.

Attachments

• 20220309_124311.jpg
    20220309_124311.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I'm pretty sure our cold weather is a thing of the past. As soon as I can get the leaves off the roof of the tortoise area next to the garage I'm going to be putting up a shelf with rustic type decorations on it. I'll post pictures. I got the idea from a TV commercial for Audible:

View attachment 341420

I sent away to Amazon for a couple cheap bird houses, some rustic-looking pots and watering can and a straw hat. I have my own plants to add to the mix. I need to figure out how to 'stick' the items to that shelf so the wind can't blow them off. ANy suggestions? I was thinking maybe window putty?
Could put rocks to weight some down, yet leave so you can move. Not sure on window putty.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
It's been snowing ❄️🌨 all night. Haven't checked to see how much yet... going to wait a few hours for daylight. Sent Jeff off to work hours early, hoping he beats some of it.

What's your weather?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It's been snowing ❄️🌨 all night. Haven't checked to see how much yet... going to wait a few hours for daylight. Sent Jeff off to work hours early, hoping he beats some of it.

What's your weather?
Nice and cool here. It's intresting how "graceful" fall is, you just one day realise it's getting cooler. Here it's 25C, yesterday it rained quite a bit and it was cold, you could feel it in your nose and knees. Is it at least getting warmer up North by you guys?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nice and cool here. It's intresting how "graceful" fall is, you just one day realise it's getting cooler. Here it's 25C, yesterday it rained quite a bit and it was cold, you could feel it in your nose and knees. Is it at least getting warmer up North by you guys?
We are up and down last week was nice, one day up to 80. Then we went into cold. Right now it's 17 and a very fine light snow, with a couple of inches on the ground. Then we have a warm up, with Wednesday at about mid 70s. Something for everyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

What's your weather?
Bearuiful spring-like weather, slightly breezy.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the smell after a rain. Any plants blooming yet?

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I love the smell after a rain. Any plants blooming yet?
The smell of rain is really special. I believe it's called petrichor, apparently humans can smell it further away than sharks can smell blood
Coincidentally loads of flowers are blooming like our dahlias and afrikaners (geraniums) and a blurred mushroom20220310_185006.jpg20220310_184945.jpg20220310_184833.jpg20220310_184912.jpg
Even though it only rained one day, a few shrooms still managed to sprout
(hopefully the photos don't look like something out of a horror movie, it's getting dark here)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The smell of rain is really special. I believe it's called petrichor, apparently humans can smell it further away than sharks can smell blood
Coincidentally loads of flowers are blooming like our dahlias and afrikaners (geraniums) and a blurred mushroomView attachment 341566View attachment 341567View attachment 341568View attachment 341569
(hopefully the photos don't look like something out of a horror movie, it's getting dark here)
Jealous, I am! I miss not having blooming flowers. I also had never heard about the rain/blood thing. Very very interesting!!

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Coincidentally loads of flowers are blooming like our dahlias and afrikaners (geraniums) and a blurred mushroomView attachment 341566View attachment 341567View attachment 341568View attachment 341569
A note, afrikaners are marigolds, not geraniums, don't know why I mixed it up lol