Challenge

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Well, soon I will be coming into a horribly neglected DT. He is known to be at least 10 years old and is about twice the size of my "Cooter". He was living in a 5 gallon aquarium with no heat, no lighting and fed lettuce and no bedding. There are a plethora of stuff going on with him both physically and medically. Luckily I am prepared for such a challenge as I work in emergency/critical medicine as well as exotic medicine and always keep medicinal supplies, as well as husbandry supplies/sources on hand. Plan is to get this little guy back on track and adopt him out through my local herp society.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I can't wait to see this little guy and learn more about him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The great thing about someone opening their homes and heart to these guys is....once they are taken into a home that truly admires them, they seem to flourish and they don't need a fancy get up to do so....so good vibes coming your way and I also look forward to seeing the newbie :D

reticguy76

5 Year Member

As you can see, he is in a little bit of rough shape. Some things arent going to go away and all we can do is manage it. Other than how he looks, he has horrible diarrhea, horribly dehydrated, very mal-nutritioned, etc. I have the people that rescued him soaking him daily and getting him some sun exposure and a good diet for now.
The basic info I got is that they went to a friend of a friend's home and they saw this tortoise there in a 5 gallon, unable to turn or anything, with no water, no heat, no bedding and no lighting and some old iceberg lettuce leaves. They are a ways from me and will be "delivering" him to me at some point in the fairly near future. For now, I sent them a couple great care sheets and info (from this site primarily!!!) to get them through until I can take over rehabilitating him. They own an iguana so they know very little about torts, particularly DT's species, so I was called into play to help. This little guy deserves a huge chance and a great home, so I am more than up and willing for the challenge !!

Sorry for the double pic, the last was supposed to be this one:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The tort will come round, he is perfect for sure.....the poo and hydration can be improved so it is not a problem...just takes time, I mean after all he did not get in this situation over night.

I hope that the folks who had him will not subject another tort to the new now empty space....

Ida

So kind of you to take him in and nurse back to health, best of luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As a moderator, I have edited some of the posts to remove any indication of illegal goings on. One of our rules is:

4. Refrain from the discussion of any illegal activity.

That beak problem is a direct result of no calcium in the diet. It's going to take a very long time, but with occasional grinding on the lower beak, you can eventually get it back into shape. The real problem is it doesn't seem that there is an upper beak.

Don't try to O.D. on calcium supplement. Just give a tiny bit two or three times a week along with calcium-rich foods.

I'm rooting for this poor little guy. They have such a strong will to live.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
I should have worded that more delicately.

Most of everything that is going on is chronic, but fixable. It all begins with getting him into the proper environment and micro-environment, everything will eventually fall into place once that is established.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Apologies Yvonne....emotions got the best of me for a moment....I really do not promote illegal activity...but understand how this came about......thanks.