Cat HELP!! Stroke?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
If you can maybe try to confine him in a smaller area for the night. then if he has another episode he won't fall down stairs etc. i'm sending good wishes your way, and I hope your little kitty is doing much better by tomorrow. but I would take him in even if he is great tomorrow.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
If you can maybe try to confine him in a smaller area for the night. then if he has another episode he won't fall down stairs etc. i'm sending good wishes your way, and I hope your little kitty is doing much better by tomorrow. but I would take him in even if he is great tomorrow.
He's in the basement ... I wish I thought of it earlier but closing him in that bathroom since its small probably would have been even better, but he still would have freaked about that I'm sure, beds on the floor there's no stairs and its a relatively small and obstacle free finished basement.

He is DEFINITELY going in tomorrow even if I have to pay the money for it, I'm one of those overly paranoid with pets, my mum likes to judge based on the current time... Although with this I think she knows he needs to go. If there wasn't snow I would have, without a doubt, driven out at least an hour to the emergency vet at 10 at night.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He's in the basement ... I wish I thought of it earlier but closing him in that bathroom since its small probably would have been even better, but he still would have freaked about that I'm sure, beds on the floor there's no stairs and its a relatively small and obstacle free finished basement.

He is DEFINITELY going in tomorrow even if I have to pay the money for it, I'm one of those overly paranoid with pets, my mum likes to judge based on the current time... Although with this I think she knows he needs to go. If there wasn't snow I would have, without a doubt, driven out at least an hour to the emergency vet at 10 at night.
I am the same way with my pets. They are my kids. I will not hesitate to take them to the vet. good luck tomorrow.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
Sorry to hear about your kitty I hope the vet can figure out what happened to him. I haven't experienced anything like that with my kittys had two that lived to be 18 and 19 in human years. now I have young ones with the oldest being 15

Randi

Canada
It definitely sounds like a seizure and not a stroke. It sounds like a grand mal seizure. They tend to tense up, seize, throw up and then they act confused/lost/off balance. I'd definitely go to a vet and get a full panel of blood work done. They may put your cat on anti-seizure meds but it seems unlikely if this is the only "seizure". Sometimes it can even be hereditary. For example, I have a Shih Tzu. His mother has experienced a few seizures throughout her life, and my dogs brother started to have them. My dog seized once. It never happened again. Animals that are younger can have seizures and may grow out of it.

How old is your cat? I'd confine him in a kennel so if he is confused or off balance, he won't potentially fall off of something. And this way if he seizes again, you can see it. It's going to be important to the vet to know what the seizure looked like.

Last edited:

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
is it possible he's hit his head some how? i had a dog behave a lot like you describe, it was after she chased a rabbit threw a gate and she hit her head real hard on the bar. she lost control of her other bowls and bladder for a few mins too from the shock. i was lucky i seen it happen. the vet said it was bad concussion and she sees it a lot in animals that have been clipped by cars. good luck i hope he feels better soon.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Good morning everyone. Semore is doing ok this morning, when I woke up he was outside my room and when I called him he came right to my bed and jumped up and was purring. I guess he threw up again last night so no idea of another even happened or he was just still feeling bad. My mum was searching the Internet last night while I was apparently here and she said she saw a video of a seizure that was very similar. If a mod wants to change the thread title from stroke to seizure I don't mind, like I said I panicked and jumped to the worst. My mum said she'll look into making a vet appointment but it may not be today, I told her I'd skip class but since I'll be missing the same classes Monday while on a trip.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425473460.871825.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425473473.537874.jpg

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
It definitely sounds like a seizure and not a stroke. It sounds like a grand mal seizure. They tend to tense up, seize, throw up and then they act confused/lost/off balance. I'd definitely go to a vet and get a full panel of blood work done. They may put your cat on anti-seizure meds but it seems unlikely if this is the only "seizure". Sometimes it can even be hereditary. For example, I have a Shih Tzu. His mother has experienced a few seizures throughout her life, and my dogs brother started to have them. My dog seized once. It never happened again. Animals that are younger can have seizures and may grow out of it.

How old is your cat? I'd confine him in a kennel so if he is confused or off balance, he won't potentially fall off of something. And this way if he seizes again, you can see it. It's going to be important to the vet to know what the seizure looked like.
He's around 15, we'll never be sure since he was a stray. So we think if anything it's the start of something with age.
He was confined to the finished basement where he usually sleeps, bed on the floor not on the pool table so he wouldn't be able to fall. I'll be able to describe very well what the seizure was like because it was horrifying, it's not something you easily forget.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
is it possible he's hit his head some how? i had a dog behave a lot like you describe, it was after she chased a rabbit threw a gate and she hit her head real hard on the bar. she lost control of her other bowls and bladder for a few mins too from the shock. i was lucky i seen it happen. the vet said it was bad concussion and she sees it a lot in animals that have been clipped by cars. good luck i hope he feels better soon.
I know for sure he didn't take a hit to the head, he was relaxing with my sister before, then like always followed he when she got up to brush her teeth and when she was in the bathroom he started walked crooked in circles. We worried he hit his head or was stepped on or something but since she was with him we know nothing happened before and he was fine until all of a sudden he wasn't.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I would still take your cat to the veterinarian. It could be something simple like an ear infection or something more neurological etc.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He's around 15, we'll never be sure since he was a stray. So we think if anything it's the start of something with age.
He was confined to the finished basement where he usually sleeps, bed on the floor not on the pool table so he wouldn't be able to fall. I'll be able to describe very well what the seizure was like because it was horrifying, it's not something you easily forget.

At the age of the cat, why put him through the vet trauma? I mean, he is in the later stages of the show---I personally would let him be...a seizure is not the end of the world....and from what you described, that is what is sounds like...especially the head motion you mentioned and then the animal essentially back to normal (without loss of bodily function and all)....

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I would still take your cat to the veterinarian. It could be something simple like an ear infection or something more neurological etc.
He has an appointment at 4 they're going to do a blood panel just to be sure all is well or learn what isn't well

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Hi how is he today?
He's much better than last night, still a little hesitant but I assume he's still frightened... Or wondering why everyone's all over loving him. He jumped in my bed this morning and was purring away. Thanks for asking

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
At the age of the cat, why put him through the vet trauma? I mean, he is in the later stages of the show---I personally would let him be...a seizure is not the end of the world....and from what you described, that is what is sounds like...especially the head motion you mentioned and then the animal essentially back to normal (without loss of bodily function and all)....
We're taking him to the vet for blood work. Just want to be sure everything is ok and something's not off. My opinion is that while it'll be stressful it's important to at least check, we wonder if it's possible diabetes could cause such a thing and the vet last time said it could be possible he develop diabetes because he was overweight. No idea if seizure is related to diabetes in cats but it'll just make us all feel better.