Cardboard hide?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises benefit from a little humidity in the substrate. In the real world, they hit semi-moist earth when they dig down, and that's what you strive for in the captive world.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, Russians need humidity just like other torts. So, a cardboard box would not be good, unless you make a warm humid hide and put the cardboard on a dryer end. Read the caresheet in the Russian section for the humidity

John Franzwa

Actually, Russians need humidity just like other torts. So, a cardboard box would not be good, unless you make a warm humid hide and put the cardboard on a dryer end. Read the caresheet in the Russian section for the humidity

Ok cool should I mist her down daily or every other day or once s week or...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's an adult, a warm water soak once every two or three weeks. If a baby/hatchling under 2 I would do a daily to every other day warm soak. As for humidity, try to maintain around 50%

John Franzwa

If it's an adult, a warm water soak once every two or three weeks. If a baby/hatchling under 2 I would do a daily to every other day warm soak. As for humidity, try to maintain around 50%

Ok she's an adult and I soak her once or twice a week and she gets a varied diet

John Franzwa

The only humidity gauge I have is in a another tank and it says it's about 50!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I use cardboard boxes on occasion with my Redfoot, but they really don't last. It's more of a last ditch effort thing.

John Franzwa

Russian tortoises benefit from a little humidity in the substrate. In the real world, they hit semi-moist earth when they dig down, and that's what you strive for in the captive world.

I don't have a humidity cage in that tank but I just misted down the tank