Can you help out a novice? (ID, food/habitat questions)

TortoiseNovice17

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi,

We just adopted a beautiful tortoise. We were told it is a Greek tortoise by the pet shop by since then I believe it is an Eastern Hermanni?? Please help me ID it since I want to make sure we take care of it properly (hibernation?). I did a ton of research but I get SO MUCH conflicting information...

AF1QipMYHUvjMvaV16nCYPRe61ZHG7n7gMkyYsB9HuwD
AF1QipMITnsB-eTH9LTmgNisJ1E2uEyy853JulZJs6JD
AF1QipOz-nevDpd7mhcbuT3aZy9o0bNi1ZrY5KdQAxg9

Right now, I am feeding her romaine lettuce, spring mix (no spinach), very little carrot or bell pepper, etc. I bought a calcium block but she doesn't touch it so I scrap some over her food. I got tortoise pellets to add, same thing - she doesn't touch it. I tried clover and other herbs, nope... Also, she will not go in her water dish so I am soaking her 15 minutes every day in warm water. She really doesn't eat very much and only once a day, but she isn't losing weight.

She also digs in a corner a lot. I built her an outside enclosure the first week we got her but now its much too cold to use it...

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Feed as wide a variety of proper foods as possible. The move inside will set them back a bit, as if you just got her.
You can hibernate the Russians, however you shouldn't the first year you own them. You don't have to hibernate them at all if you don't want. Keep lights on at least 12 hours and temps up to keep them from wanting to hibernate.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Looks almost like a Russian to me, but let someone else confirm that. Most times anything you get from a pet store is Russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome! Yes, it's a Russian. We have good care sheets pinned at the top of our Russian section. Your tortoise is full grown.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

A cute Russian tort. GOD bless. Any pics of her enclosure?

Please give her daily soaks in warm water.