Can I keep a sulcata outside in north Georgia

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
My property has a field in which I can put up a fence to stand up to a sulcata trying to climb over, trying to plow through, and digging underneath. I would like to know if the sulcata would be okay in the climate.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
I am in north east Pa. and my sully goes out every day. Sometimes I have to dig a little trail in the snow for her to get through it...she loves it...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just be sure to provide shade, as I know you have high temps and humidity, good for a sully but they still need to be able to cool down some. Also in the winter provide a heat shed, or night box for those colder days. This is for an adult correct? Anything around 8-10 inches or so and under should not stay out 24/7

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I'm sure your climate is not too different than my. You can definitely keep a sulcata in your area, but it's going to be more "involved" than people in nicer climates. Our summers are pretty hot and our winters are pretty cool. You could provide a buried hide for summer and a heated box for winter. Keep an eye on the temps, and remember sulcatas don't hibernate and they get huge.

Sulcatagirl

Yes an adult or an sub adult. Thanks for the info!
Hi. I have a 12 yr old male Sulcata in Northern Virginia that I have had since he was a hatchling. I am looking to re-home him as I am getting divorced and cannot afford a place with any yard, let alone a yard large enough for his needs. Let me know if you are interested.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hi. I have a 12 yr old male Sulcata in Northern Virginia that I have had since he was a hatchling. I am looking to re-home him as I am getting divorced and cannot afford a place with any yard, let alone a yard large enough for his needs. Let me know if you are interested.
I am interested!

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Are you looking for money? I can pay if needed

Sulcatagirl

Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been moving and haven't been online. No, I'm not looking for money. Just want him to go to a good, safe, big home. :) He is the one on my profile picture. I don't know what he best way is to talk to you further... Is there a pm option on this site? lol

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been moving and haven't been online. No, I'm not looking for money. Just want him to go to a good, safe, big home. :) He is the one on my profile picture. I don't know what he best way is to talk to you further... Is there a pm option on this site? lol
Yes there is!

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
I sent you a message.. I am really interested!

Sulcatagirl

Yes. I responded to your message. Check your inbox so we are not publicly having this conversation. :) If you are interested, so am I. :)