Can a tortoise become overweight?

mbowers

Hi Everyone,

I have taken in an adult Horsefield's tortoise about 3 weeks ago from a friend. He has a voracious appetite. He was checked for worms and he is clean. Sometimes I feed him twice a day and he eats everything on his plate. I found a formula online that tells what the tortoise should weigh according to its size it was L (cm) x W (cm) x H (cm) x 0.57 = ideal weight in grams. According to this, Gorby should be 511 grams and he is actually 572 grams.

Does anyone else use this formula and find it helpful?

Also, I wanted to ask, if I use TNT as a supplement, do I also need to use a calcium supplement as well?

I am guessing it's ok for him to eat a lot since his previous owner said he is very sedate in the winter and doesn't eat much,

Thanks for helping this Horsefield newbie. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
What has his diet been? Can you post a picture?

mbowers

His old diet was whatever my friend had at home. I have been feeding a rotation of spring mix, mazuri on occasion, kale, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and very rarely zucchini.

image.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
His old diet was whatever my friend had at home. I have been feeding a rotation of spring mix, mazuri on occasion, kale, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and very rarely zucchini.

View attachment 132189
Well I've been raising Russians in AZ for about 12 yrs and in AZ you'll find in July and Aug. everybody eats less so they live on their body fat a lot . And if you let them bromate in the winter they live on their body fat . So relax and just enjoy your friend . Have a great tort day !