Can a sulcata live in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddles

5 Year Member
Hello:)
We've moved from AZ to WA. Our 50 plus pound sulcata is still at my father in laws in AZ. My question is if I should bring him to WA or not? We are very fond of him but I don't want him indoors all the time. Although even in AZ summers got too hot for him and winters he was indoors. Is there anyone else here who lives in WA and is your tort happy?
Thank you!
Ginger

kilena

5 Year Member
toddles said:
Hello:)
We've moved from AZ to WA. Our 50 plus pound sulcata is still at my father in laws in AZ. My question is if I should bring him to WA or not? We are very fond of him but I don't want him indoors all the time. Although even in AZ summers got too hot for him and winters he was indoors. Is there anyone else here who lives in WA and is your tort happy?
Thank you!
Ginger

I live in oregon and my little guy is doing good

Sulcataman

5 Year Member
I don't live in WA but as long as the day time temps are adequate, he will be happy outdoors. Obviously he will spend much more time indoors compared to life in AZ. There are folks in Alaska that keep them. It will just take alot of dedication on your part to house him properly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Our own King Robert lives in Washington. Do a forum search for "Bob" or "Maggie". You will find all sorts of stuff. I think. Most people will agree that AZ is a more suitable environment for a big sulcata, but as Maggie has shown us, it can be done in Washigton too.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
So far, o.k. Neenyo is between 3 and 4 years old. He divides time between a long aquarium inside (soon to be too small for him and replaced) and a hard plastic pool outside in warm weather. We also tape a balloon to him and let him wander the yard if somebody is outside to watch out for him. He's quite the clever escape artist.
neenyo.jpg

P.S: I'm aware of the necessity of watching out for the tortoise's safety where the dog is concerned. So far, no problems. I won't leave them unsupervised again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a slight correction to Tom's post...Maggie lives in Oregon, not Washington.

Hi Ginger:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yes, they can, but it isn't always easy or cheap! You will need a large heated shed or barn with access to outdoors when its nice or he wants to go out..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I could have sworn she said Waahington... Hmm... My bad. Sorry Maggie. Thank you Yvonne. :)

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sulcataman said:
I don't live in WA but as long as the day time temps are adequate, he will be happy outdoors. Obviously he will spend much more time indoors compared to life in AZ. There are folks in Alaska that keep them. It will just take alot of dedication on your part to house him properly.

This is a good post on the subject. :)

Absolutely! But due to weather, you'll probably just spend more time and money on indoor than some might who have nicer outdoor conditions for torts.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I live in Washington and it's doable. It will be more costly in the winter usually. Take every opportunity of the sun!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
check out Loafing Sheds for housing ideas... it had a indoor area and a outdoor covered area.. Tuff Shed makes them.. but you can copy the idea too...

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
portland oregon. With 4 Healthy Sulcatas ... Broc (M), Omec(f's), Goomba, Missy... We are healthy and happy...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Just a slight correction to Tom's post...Maggie lives in Oregon, not Washington.

:D Glad you said that, because I was sitting here going "Wait it's OR not WA". Thought maybe I had loss more memory then I knew about. :D

Welcome! It's a lot up to you as to if you want to go to the added expense and trouble to have him up there with you or not.

toddles

5 Year Member
Hello again:)
It is Washington that I was asking about. Thank you for your replies:) I think we will give it a try:) The house that we are in the process of buying has two options for a tort home. There is a wooden shed and the garage both have access to a grassy backyard. I was wondering if our tortoise, Toddles would be indoors too much but it sounds like you all have happy tortoises;) I like the balloon idea;) we also have two dogs but they lost interest once our tortoise got big! But yes of course, never left unsupervised...
Thank you for all your help:)
Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.