Can a cherryhead live with a Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello!
There is a 2 year old Russian tortoise who needs a home locally and I'm really interested in saving it.
I currently have a 1.5 year old cherryhead, can they live together? I don't necessarily mean by the climate of the enclosure, more along the lines of will they get along or will they fight?
Thank you so much for any advice you can give :)
Kyle

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
It's never a good idea to mix species. Redfoots need a lot more humidity than Russians. Some Russians can be quite aggressive at times too. So my answer is no - not a good idea unless you can provide separate enclosures for them. Good luck! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No! Species should never be mixed. As stated the two you are talking about need different housing requirements. Also, different species can be carriers of different diseases that the other has no immunities against.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Not a chance! For all the reasons Barb & Kimber have stated. These species come from climates that are polar opposites. Redfoots from the tropics and russians from the steppe. This would be the death of your cherry/russian at worst and two very unhappy tortoises at best.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
ditto the above.. NO NEVER....

that applies to ever continent/species on the planet!!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Don't do it, mate. Different climates, different diets. Russians are more aggressive, and might even try to hybridize with the redfoot. And most importantly, they could swap diseases and make each other sick. Mixing tortoise species is not advisable.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
No, they can share diseases, Russians are aggressive. And yeah, pretty much everything that has already been said really. Plus both tortoises need LOTS of room, especially the Russian.
Can you provide 2 separate enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.