Cagemates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
I'm having a gnat problem with my indoor redfoot enclosure. Is there some kind of bug or lizard or frog I can put in the cage that will help get rid of the bugs but not harm my tort? Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's near impossible to wipe them all out by changing the substrate or adding fly ribbons... This helps, but never eliminates.
Thanks for your input,

-Kasper

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
What substrate are you using? I was using cypress for my baby redfoot, and the silverfish and gnat problem decreased when I switched to coconut coir. Also, make sure to remove uneaten food soon after feedings. That's what attracts them the most, it seems.

As far as cagemates, I don't think any frogs or lizards are fast enough to catch gnats. The only creature I can think of is a spider (their webs, specifically), but generally, that is something undesirable for most people!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would agree. Typically I see this problem when my juveniles are constantly in and out of the water bowl, creating a very wet location in the mulch. This seems to attract them as well as the food. Change the bedding a little more frequently and make sure to use a flat stone for a food tray so it can be wiped and scrubbed in the sink easily. Cypress is kinda bad about attracting the bugs.

Also I don't recommend any cage mates. But being myself and having a vast number of tortoises and living in the country I get lots of flies,gnats and randome bugs. Makes changing the Pens an every 3 week adventure. But since I added pitcher plants the bugs have decreas significantly. Do not put the plant inside the enclosure though just in the same room. They can be purchased at whole foods or exotic plant places. There pretty cool too. You just have to make sure the pitchers have water in them and spray them whenever you spray your tort. : ) good luck.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You can try pill bugs, I believe they eat the bug eggs that are in the substrate...

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Along with keeping the cage clean as others have recommended, I use fly strips that I hang above the enclosures. They seem to catch quite a few little bugs and are pretty inexpensive to replace. I use them indoors and out.

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I will clean out the cage this weekend and replace the coco coir with some fresh coir. I will also continue to hang the fly ribbons until I notice it not catching many gnats. I like the pitcher plant idea too, I'll will make a visit to whole foods over the weekend as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.