Cactus pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Alright so during my trip at the grocery store I saw cactus leaves, and bought one. Do I just cut it up and feed it to my tortoise or do I have to do something else?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
If it's opuntia pads for my part i pass a knife in the opposite sens of the needle to take them off and after i give to my Pardalis but for the little i cut grossly.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
For large torts just put the whole pad in. Medium torts chope it into cubes or strips. Wee torts, food processor or blender works great.

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
You don't take off the needle tortadise ?
How does other people do.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh well psssh, of course I do. ha I suppose I did forget to mention the main part. You can use fire from like a stick lighter or saughtering torch to get the spines off.

ssydney

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
tortadise said:
Oh well psssh, of course I do. ha I suppose I did forget to mention the main part. You can use fire from like a stick lighter or saughtering torch to get the spines off.

Did my pictures show up?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
i don't see pic.
effectivly, they are only in little brown spot so if you cut it you only don't take it.
i spoke too fast :)

but for my big male i give it in totallity so i have to tke them off

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I cant see the photos.

Are you using the app on a phone? I tried posting a little while ago on my phone and it wouldnt upload at all. But it worked on the computer. Little cubes about half inch by half inch is pretty standard. Torts have very sharp beaks and can tear through it no problem, I just like to make sure if they are wee baby torts they get it in cactus puree form. :) :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
What I do for the youngsters is start at the top of the pad and cut narrow strips and then turn the strip on end and cut it in half long ways, that way there is an inside and a outside surfaces exposed, they seem to be able to eat it easier doing this, as they get bigger I just cut strips in a width suitable to their size without the extra cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.