cactus pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello,

I have read that you can plant these cactus pads and they will grow? Is this true? Has anyone been successful at it? If so, please share your "how tos". I have a BLACK thumb. I just planted same planters with a weed mix and I was so excited when they started poking through the soil today. I can grow weeds!!!!!

Thanks.

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
grasspack said:
Hello,

I have read that you can plant these cactus pads and they will grow? Is this true? Has anyone been successful at it? If so, please share your "how tos". I have a BLACK thumb. I just planted same planters with a weed mix and I was so excited when they started poking through the soil today. I can grow weeds!!!!!

Thanks.

Where did you get weed mix to plant? I cant find any. Did you order it online? I would like to grow something different for Mylo. Could you let me know? thank you :)

franeich

5 Year Member
Cut the pad off. Let it sit for a few days. plant it cut side down a few inches in some rocky soil. I have never watered any of mine.

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I ordered some seeds from www.carolinapetsupply.com. Great place for seeds and stuff for torts. I hope I can grow some. I don't have a tort yet...but am trying now. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

kimby37 said:
grasspack said:
Hello,

Thanks.

Where did you get weed mix to plant? I cant find any. Did you order it online? I would like to grow something different for Mylo. Could you let me know? thank you :)

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
It might be to cold for you to grow cactus where your at outside because it snows there to much. You would have to keep them in a container and bring it indoors during the winter.

moswen

5 Year Member
i buy grass mix from www.sulcatafood.com, they have a seed mix for sullies (really good for most weed eating tortoises) and they also have a forest-dwelling seed mix that grows broad leafy plants. the sulcata seed mix grows really fast!

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
I always plant my cactus pads...
my weather its more suitable tho...
I just cut them off, and leave them in there for two days, then, you plant them in soil.
make sure its soil, and not moss, or dirt..
water it just once a month or so.... and place it in a warm sunny place x)
the bigger the pot, the bigger it will get... (they take long time tho)

grasspack

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Thanks...I ordered some and may try to plant a couple and keep them in front of my big window. We can't grow much of anything here...but lots and lots of snow:) We are going to get 22 inches in the next 36 hours:(

Status
Not open for further replies.