Busted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
I was so worried about my rescued Chekhov. I never saw him out of his hide. His food was gone, but I always have to dig him out of his hide to bathe him, which I feel kind of diminishes the safeness of a hide... but I NEVER caught him out of it!

So yesterday my youngest was down there hand-feeding him (she likes the feel of his tongue, odd eh?) and when I started down the stairs, she said he looked up and then quickly walked into his hide.

I checked to see if he was out so I could bathe him. He wasn't, so I went back upstairs and my daughter said he immediately came out to finish his dinner. I tested it later and the exact same thing happens... when I walk down the stairs he hides.

That little bugger's avoiding me! He hates bathes, I think that's why heh.

Not important, just thought I'd share :p It's nice that he's starting to interact with the family though. He was so out of it when I first got him that I'm glad to see he's getting some attitude.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
LOL! Tanya:

I was just wondering if your daughter will feel the same way about Chekhov's tongue when he accidentally gets her finger!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Little stinker. He thinks if he hides you can't find him, haha.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
LOL! Tanya:

I was just wondering if your daughter will feel the same way about Chekhov's tongue when he accidentally gets her finger!

He's actually gotten her three times! I was amazed because she just nursed her finger back and then did it again.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My russians hate baths, so I stopped doing them a long time ago.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
My Russian Ophelia loves her bath's, but my Sully Cooper hates them!! He will try and dig through every corner of the tub until he figures he has to poo, then he will calm down, finish his business, and then have a total cow until I get him out and dry him off, such a spoiled brat! :p Got'a love your torts personality!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Let me restate my original post, they hate forced baths, but they do enjoy climbing in there on their own and do their business.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
dmmj said:
Let me restate my original post, they hate forced baths, but they do enjoy climbing in there on their own and do their business.

I hope if we ever get into a new house with the room I need I can make them a spot so they can do it themselves. I dont like force'n it, but Cooper stoped pooping in his habitat about 3 months ago. So as long as I get him in there every other day at least I know he went. And its always a lot for him being just a year old and about 1350 grams. Ophelia on the other hand will just poo and pee anywhere, even her food dish. Silly tort!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is very funny. Does he do the same when your daughter walks down the steps? Could he be getting startled, thinking a predator is coming down the stairs, right over top his head (as he probably sees it), so he hides. Or is it only you, the soaker, as the predator?:D:D

Creteloc

5 Year Member
wellington said:
It is very funny. Does he do the same when your daughter walks down the steps? Could he be getting startled, thinking a predator is coming down the stairs, right over top his head (as he probably sees it), so he hides. Or is it only you, the soaker, as the predator?:D:D

Just me and my husband get the silent treatment. I'm guessing our footsteps are heavy enough he just hides because I bathe him. Both of my girls get to see him out and about.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
That is such a cute story. :D
My little Betty actually likes baths. She just stretches out and lightly moves her legs almost like she is swimming. She doesn't usually hide and is very social.
The other night I thought a piece of bedding was bothering her and it was near her head. I went to get it and she hissed at me and went back into her shell. When I put her back in her cage she trucked into her hiding spot with her butt towards me (normally she backs in). Then I came into the kitchen a while later and she was out eating. Once she saw me she trucked back into her hole with her butt towards me.
She seems to be over her anger though because now she comes over to me when I come by her cage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOW such attitudes :p. I hope Tatum doesn't catch that kind of tude! I used to have to put up with a dog like that, now possibly a tort :(. They sure can fool ya with their sweetness in the beginning :D

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
Creteloc said:
wellington said:

Just me and my husband get the silent treatment. I'm guessing our footsteps are heavy enough he just hides because I bathe him. Both of my girls get to see him out and about.

that or maybe he has figured out who will hold his food for him and who will stick him in water.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Kerryann said:
That is such a cute story. :D
My little Betty actually likes baths. She just stretches out and lightly moves her legs almost like she is swimming. She doesn't usually hide and is very social.
The other night I thought a piece of bedding was bothering her and it was near her head. I went to get it and she hissed at me and went back into her shell. When I put her back in her cage she trucked into her hiding spot with her butt towards me (normally she backs in). Then I came into the kitchen a while later and she was out eating. Once she saw me she trucked back into her hole with her butt towards me.
She seems to be over her anger though because now she comes over to me when I come by her cage.
Just FYI they don't hiss, they exhale air when they withdraw, and they get startled.

Status
Not open for further replies.