Bushes for enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

say10

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norco, CA
What are some good bushes to plant in the enclosure to keep shade and use as an hide and such! I'm in Southern California so something that will grow good here! Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't live in your area of the country, but I do know that there are some more drought resistant plants.
*Woody herbs like Rosemary, Lavender, Salvia. Mine love to burrow at the base of a Rosemary on a warm day.
* clumping grasses like Carex or Fescue
* dwarf day lilies like Stella de Oro (torts can eat the flowers).

*Rose of Sharon (hibiscus) gets very large, but I found dwarf varieties at our local nursery. Tortoise LOVE the flowers and the leaves are safe, too.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep a lot of drought tolerant buses in my tortoise enclosures - jade has been the easiest by far for me, but also rosemary, lavender, and tea tree. I keep roses in my box turtle pens (not sure what type of turtle/tortoise enclosure you're thinking about) but of course they need more water. Hope that was helpful. :)

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
lynnedit said:
I don't live in your area of the country, but I do know that there are some more drought resistant plants.
*Woody herbs like Rosemary, Lavender, Salvia. Mine love to burrow at the base of a Rosemary on a warm day.
* clumping grasses like Carex or Fescue
* dwarf day lilies like Stella de Oro (torts can eat the flowers).

*Rose of Sharon (hibiscus) gets very large, but I found dwarf varieties at our local nursery. Tortoise LOVE the flowers and the leaves are safe, too.

Thank you! I'll be looking into the rosemary and lavender!

kimber_lee_314 said:
I keep a lot of drought tolerant buses in my tortoise enclosures - jade has been the easiest by far for me, but also rosemary, lavender, and tea tree. I keep roses in my box turtle pens (not sure what type of turtle/tortoise enclosure you're thinking about) but of course they need more water. Hope that was helpful. :)

This is for my russian tortoise! Thank you! I'll be looking into rosemary and lavender!

Cowboy_Ken said:
And don't forget geranium and fuchsias.

My grandma liked the geraniums so we will probably get one of those :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Be sure when you plant it that all the white balls are removed from the potting soil. I've seen pumice pieces, styrofoam balls and other unidentified white fluffing agents in potting soil with plants I've purchased and for some reason, tortoises think those white things should be eaten. This never works out well for the tortoise.

You can also use spider plants and aloe Vera.

say10

5 Year Member
Norco, CA
Cowboy_Ken said:
Be sure when you plant it that all the white balls are removed from the potting soil. I've seen pumice pieces, styrofoam balls and other unidentified white fluffing agents in potting soil with plants I've purchased and for some reason, tortoises think those white things should be eaten. This never works out well for the tortoise.

You can also use spider plants and aloe Vera.

Yes I really liked Spider Plants and I'm growing the clippings of my aloe vera right now!

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
I hope you post some pictures when your done! 😆 I love seeing new enclosure on this forum, it helps me plan for mine thats coming real soon.(just need to save some money)

I love my Torts 🐢🐢😄

Status
Not open for further replies.