Burrowing a hole way too deep.. Yikes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Patches started burrowing a hole a couple of weeks ago right beside a cinder lock in his enclosure. It started small, but grew and now it has gotten so deep that I am beginning to worry about the block caving in, him getting so deep that I won't be able to get him back without ripping apart the whole yard, or even him getting out. It has been really hot here, in the high 90's & 100's every day... Yesterday and today it will reach 106 in the afternoon. It stays very moist down there, and I want him to stay cool and comfortable during this heat, but I am just feeling so so so worried. I lost him last year because he is a very good escape artist. (Thank god for good neighbors lol!!!) The hole that he is digging is not going towards the fence, but I am watching him.... It's very nerve-wracking.

I am going to move that block today, and I feel like I should get him out and fill that hole too.
Please give me your guy's thoughts. Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The next time you see him out, just block the entrance. Then whenever you get time, fill in the burrow. It might be a good idea to actually try to cave it in.

This tells me that his house isn't cool enough to suit him. Is it placed in the shade? Little dog house-type tortoise shelters, even those made of cinder block, turn into little ovens when the sun shines on them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's digging because he's too hot and that is is only means of cooling off. Even in deep shade on damp ground 106 is still 106. Any burrowing species is going to feel an innate instinctive drive to get underground when their core temp starts getting over the high 90's. If you don't want him to dig his own, make one for him to your liking. This can be done with a buried half trash can or 5 gallon bucket. You can also use cinderblocks and wood. Underground is the best way to offer them stable conditions and avoid the temperature extremes on the surface.

Here is what I did. Different species, but the same concept.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
He has a lot of shade. I built his enclosure in the shadiest side of the yard. He has lots of trees over him and several big bushes as well. Even though he gets several hours of direct sun during the afternoon, he has plenty of shady areas. The evenings are super shady. Also, I have made him several burrow spots ... Some he cares for more than others. He has a U made of cinder locks, he has a tortoise home that he used to chill in all the time, (he hibernated in it last winter) But he recently stopped sleeping in it and decided to go on this new journey down the rabbit hole. Well I just covered his hole.... I feel relieved but kind of worried still.
Tom, that is an amazing burrowing tunnel that you created, I wish that I could go deeper with my enclosure but we only plan on renting our home for another year. When we buy our home (hopefully next May) I will be able to have a lot more freedom to do permanent types of things to my yard. Until then, I'm really doing the best with what I've got, and collecting ideas for later on too ;)
Well the 10 day forecast shows 100's mostly after today... One day it jumps to 105. I'm not gonna lie, I'm worried. I can try to make a new more cool place to dig that may interest him. I have some old wine barrels I could cut one in half for him, but at this point I'm worried that he will just dig another hole to china.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would leave the burrow alone and adjust the cage to avoid having the block(s) close to the entrance.

They are very good at what they do. It is improving its own care all by itself. I would not want to interfere with that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would leave the burrow alone and adjust the cage to avoid having the block(s) close to the entrance.

They are very good at what they do. It is improving its own care all by itself. I would not want to interfere with that.

I have totally agree here...see, our fear is human in nature, thinking that the tortoise does not know what he is doing is simply our human way of thinking we know better for all species...:D

The tortoise knows what he is doing---he is driven to do what he does---it has been part of him and his survival for mega years, as he ages he can likely be drawn to do what a burrowing species does, burrow and survive...:D

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
Crap!!!! I already covered the hole, and filled it with dirt... Should I uncover it and move the brick?? I can easily do this.... I know that with a little help he would fix it fast. But it's well over a foot deep, and it starts to fork off as it gets deeper. I'm afraid it will get deeper and beyond reach and control.

He does always comes out for food. He is a little piggie..... I am so torn.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...if you can remove the damage that you have done to his masterpiece :)P) without it have been compromised, then that is what I would do...realize all of the work he has done to customize it perfectly for him....

Also, you may want to remember, you have elected to host a tortoise species that is a natural burrower--not doing it for fun but from a strong instinctual drive to survive....doing what comes naturally as part of their make up---this is what you have elected to contend with when you elected this fricken awesome species of tort....

Yes, there are a couple of their natural drives that seem out right craziness to us humans--their drive and desire to brumate as well as their drive and desire to create a perfect hibernacula to survive their long life....

Now with that being said, is there anyway we can be sure to guarantee their safety at all times when we support their natural drives and desires---no. Can we increase their success while we support their natural drives and desires--yes. This is where you come into play--see, when we force a tortoise to live, survive and thrive in a captive situation we must allow their behavior to be as in line as possible with their long instilled drives/survival behavior...

You can pick the highest place in your yard to set up his enclosure, then this way if he does do what he is designed/destined to do--his success has been increased by not being in a flood zone---we need to pick the place in our yard that has the most ideal situations all the way around--so then we can let them go on and do their thing, you know what I mean....

There is nothing to me as fantastic and amazing as watching the tort steadily, tenaciously and perfectly create a burrow---it is truly awesome...

I have one of the CDT here who has dug himself a burrow that I am sure now is well in excess of 6 feet down at a little less than a 45 degree angle and then it turns left--where it goes from there I could not tell you for sure....but when it is time for food offerings or watering or any thing going on above ground in his enclosure---he is there in a matter of moments, it is awesome because I can hear/feel him moving about coming through and up the burrow entrance--his feet shuffling and his shell rubbing agains the walls of the burrow--sheer perfection in customization....

Do I ever worry, absolutely--I am but a simple human....will I still try to outsmart them each winter to gather them and brumate them indoors---absolutely--again, I am human and also know that they are safer in the winter indoors away from burrows that can (and sometimes do) collapse onto them while they sleep....so this is my worry that I have accepted as a host for this awesome species...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you've done the right thing. Here in the Central Valley of California (I see that you are in Visalia), it is too wet in the winter for our desert tortoises to hibernate in their burrow. If you leave the burrow, chances are very good that he will get down in there in the fall and not come up and you'll have to leave him to winter in the burrow. He may die during hibernation if he's allowed to hibernate in rainy weather here in the Central Valley of California.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
I feel so torn. Thanks for all of the great advice. Regardless of what I do, I have brought him inside every year when he hibernates anyways because of the risks of burrowing and rain and my fears. I also just like knowing that he's resting at a even temp. For my own peace of mind, I can't help but think that keeping the burrow closed is for the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's another idea, a compromise if you will. Let him use the burrow to escape the heat of summer, and then in fall when things start to cool, fill in or cover the burrow and resume your normal winter routine.

I did this with my adult sulcatas last summer and it worked great.

Status
Not open for further replies.