Burmese Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger16

5 Year Member
I see so many varying numbers for advised temps for a Burmese black, so I decided to get my own thread going. What do you all think I should keep my temps at? My Burmese is an estimated 1 year old. Right now I'm sitting at about 90 on the hot side, 75 on the cool side. My nighttime temp drops to about 65-70, on the cool side. I have the means to alter temps, but looking for some opinions o what they should be. Thanks.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
90F is too high. The temp range for sub-adults and adults should be 55-85F, and no less than 65F for juvies. The cool side can dip down to 70F and the hot spot should be no more than 83F or so to be safe. These are a temperate species originating from an area with high year-round humidity and rainfall.

badger16

5 Year Member
So then, I should try to keep the nighttime temp at 70? Cool side during the day at 75, hot side at like 80, with a "basking" spot of about 83, all while maintaining a high humidity?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't use a basking light for any of my manouria, they are kept pretty much at room temperature(75 degrees minimum) with a mild heat source from under the soil where their hides are on one end of the enclosure and some heat at the other end under a rock that stays warm. I found it easier to keep the humidity high doing it this way.I also have a cool hide for them if they want it, they sometimes use the warm one and sometimes the unheated one. Len

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
When inside, I keep a range from ~70F to ~100F and let the animals select their comfort zone. When outside, they experience lows that sometimes dip into the 30s for short periods and highs beyond 100, but they tend to mitigate the extremes by making use of another tortoise's burrow for both the former and the latter and seeking shady planted areas and the area beneath my deck for the latter alone. My largest once remained underground for a long time (either four or six weeks - I forget the exact number) and had me worried he had perished down there, but sending some water carefully down the burrow coaxed the animal out without any discernible health impact. One has to be careful not to let them overheat, though, I have heard (although have not experienced myself). Flipping in the sunlight on a hot day or beneath an artificial heat source seems especially dangerous, but I would say the same for other tortoises, too. I simply provide areas of less heat. I moisten their substrate off and on when they are larger. I use a fogger for smaller animals.

I sold off most of my smaller animals. Just a juvenile Brown and an adult Black (my pet) remain. Others may use different temperature setups, but mine has always performed well enough for my animals. No disease. No death. Smooth growth. Good weight. Relatively high activity. I am sure several variations of these parameters can work well enough to maintain and promote the animals' health.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Inside, my Mee's have their own room, which is kept at a constant 74 degrees f. They have basking lamps directly over their watering holes, where they spend a great deal of their day hanging out. The overall room humidity ranges between 60% - 80%.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have the same kind of set up. The overall enclosure is kept at 72-74 degrees, with a lamp hanging over their water dish and over their mud wallow. (They spend a lot of time buried in the mud with just their little noses poking out ;) ) Directly under the lamps it is 80-82 degrees.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
badger16 said:
So then, I should try to keep the nighttime temp at 70? Cool side during the day at 75, hot side at like 80, with a "basking" spot of about 83, all while maintaining a high humidity?

You don't need a hot side. A low wattage basking spot will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.