Burmese star scute pattern question

enchilada

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Beach CA
I noticed some Burmese star has this 1 yellow line on the front scute while some are missing this line .
Is this pattern random occurrence or has something to do with certain genes ?
Not sure if this is a sign to distinguish between different bloodlines
CA0AE1B0-CA0C-449C-B1F8-2039AFA8CBBC.jpegCA626B72-B447-4B4A-B729-E91B9D8808C1.jpeg

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Random, and it can change as they grow too.
You mean sometimes this stripe can pop up or disappear when they grow up ?

I wonder are Stars and Radiata black with yellow stripes or yellow with black stripes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I wonder are Stars and Radiata black with yellow stripes or yellow with black stripes?
Yes. Their patterns sometimes change and evolve.

Seems like a black background with yellow stripes to my eye.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

They are the yellow color with black pigment that fills in to create the seemingly yellow stripes. The base scute color is the horn or yellow color. The black is from pigment that fills in. With Burmese Stars this fills in everywhere except at the seam where adjacent scutes meet. This creates the pattern with radiating stripes from scute seams. Some fill in with a narrow band, while others can be the more wide-banded "higher yellow" stripes.

The stripe that eminates from where the two front marginals meet (where the nuchal scute would be in other species) is variable and sometimes does not show up. I'd say about 50% of mine develop that and no correlation to which mother from what I have seen. Often it can develop a bit later as the tortoise grows