Bummed out by a pet shop today

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I stopped in a nearby pet shop today that specializes in reptiles -- Scales and Tails in Burbank, CA. I was curious if they carried Mazuri, and, as a newcomer to the world of caring for torts, was curious what other useful supplies and advice they might have to offer.

The first thing I did was peek in on the torts for sale and I was so upset by what I saw --badly pyramiding torts of various species all crammed in bright glass boxes with no hides at all and water dishes overflowing with poop. Their food was some kind of brightly colored kibble that looked like Trix for torts.

I had come to this store specifically because they were the supposed reptile experts in the area and the way their torts were housed showed such willful ignorance I was shocked.

I didn't see the Mazuri but left without asking for it.

I don't get it. I've had torts for 6 weeks and am learning and tweaking and trying to help them be as healthy and comfy as possible. Why wouldn't a business that's sole reason for existing is reptiles do the same? I know they have a lot of other animals to care for, but I found this incredibly depressing.

OK, sorry for being Debby Downer but I had to get that off my chest.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
You need to let them know how bad they are treating our shelled friends.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry you had a bad time there. But, just think of the poor torts. You get to leave they don't. You need to take the step and try to educate the store owners. You are the only voice those torts have, you can't leave them now. Copy all the info from here you can find about the proper care of the torts you seen there. Tell them about TFO and that they don't need to join to get all the correct info they need. Also, tell them it's free to join if they should need any questions answered. That we would be more the willing to help them get it right. You can do this for the torts and we are all here to help in any way we can.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet stores are in business to make money. They sell stuff. What they sell for tortoises is usually what they have in the tortoise enclosures. There's money in the aquariums. There's money in the lighting and fixtures. There's money in the Trix for Torts.

Pet stores usually sell the animals in a timely manner, so it really doesn't matter to the store if they're set up correctly or not. You can complain all you want to, I doubt it will make any difference to the store owner.

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
Poor things. :(
I would try and print out some care guides to give to the store owner/manager in hopes that they might learn something. Tell them what they are doing wrong and best case, they'll change. There is a possibility that they just don't know.

However, you have to be prepared that they won't change. It is a business and they might be providing them limited care due to keep funds down.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I am confused. I live nearby and that store has been closed for several weeks. When exactly did you visit?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That store contacted me two years ago and wanted to buy some of my babies. I went in to check out their operation and was equally disgusted and appalled, but not surprised. I took a few deep breaths, found the manager and assistant manager, told them who I was, and had a conversation with them. Did my best to explain it to them. They listened politely and seemed to understand. I let them know as politely as I could that I would not sell them any of my babies if they were going to be housed and cared for that way. I never heard from them again and repeat visits to the store showed no change in their deplorable techniques.

The saddest thing is that SOMEONE did choose to sell their babies to that store because they always had some in stock.

I have not been there for over a year. Can't say I'd be sad if they have gone out of business.

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
The problem with stores is that, in general, they have and feel no connection with the live animals they sell. To the stores, the animals are just goods or inventory. The goal is to get rid of the goods as fast as possible and to make a profit. Anything on top of that is just expenses, which stores minimize.

Anyways, I would only get mine from breeders or preferably hobbyists (because money and business sometimes cloud the minds of the big full-time breeders) who take pride in the animals they produce.

And, I always check on the faunaclassifieds board of inquiry to see how people conduct themselves. You'd be surprised, even for some with glowing reputations on our Tortoise Vendor Reviews.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
They're at Magnolia and Reese now. They had several sulcata hatchlings in there looking miserable, and I thought of many of the sweet babies I've seen on this site. As a newcomer to torts, I felt unprepared to speak up. I'm not an expert by any means. Based on Tom's experience attempting to educate them, I doubt it would do much good. I guess I'm naive -- because it's a specialty mom and pop place down the street, I thought it would be run with care. I'd rather go to Petco.

Status
Not open for further replies.