Building Up Not Out?

ljb

Location (City and/or State)
USA
We are starting to build our tortoises permanent indoor enclosure and ,while my husband would be ok with whatever i decide, it suddenly dawned on him how much an 8x4 actually takes up of our small house.

I got the idea to build it on a shelving unit and have many levels rather than one larger area.

My idea was to build it on garage shelving that measures 5' x 2.5' and have at least 3 levels with ramps connecting. I couldn't find much on whether this would be suitable? It would be for a male Russian.

Any input would be appreciated.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like the multiple levels and it works well for my Leopards. Russians are more active than Leopards, so I think it is a great option. You will want railing on the ramps. This is my 2 story enclosure. Oops pictures are not on this device.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Here they are.

Attachments

• 0914140845.jpg
    0914140845.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 0914140847.jpg
    0914140847.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 37

ljb

USA
Thanks so much! I love your set up. I have decided to go ahead with it as we already have the shelving unit and most of the other materials we would need. If it doesn't work we aren't out much!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
great idea ....and benefits also include "heat rising effect" ....thus reducing the time or wattage your top enclosures will need. ;)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Thanks so much! I love your set up. I have decided to go ahead with it as we already have the shelving unit and most of the other materials we would need. If it doesn't work we aren't out much!
Make sure you post pictures when done. I love seeing what everyone creates.