Building outdoor encloser

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
Kay so I'm working on a very temporary enclosed outside.. I have the largest kiddy pool I could get and I have that coco fur dirt that I have in my indoor one.. I also have cut a large hole out of a rubber made box and flipped it for him as a hideout. My main q is I wanted to add a few plants like a hosta or some clove or grass, but I can only find them at places like the garden center at Walmart... I believe that they are grown with pesticides... Should I just not put anything in ?? I wnted to offer some shade so he could go under a plant but I'm worried if he eats it???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there any body you know with hostas that doesn't fertilize etc. They are very easy to split and it is actually good for them to be split when they get too large.as for grass and clover, get some seeds and plant it right in the coir. I was able to grow it this past winter inside in the coir.

noved32

5 Year Member
Ya don't know anyone who has hostas that I could split... I did grow some lettuce but it isn't very tall.. Lol I know Walmart had lots of herbs and veggie plants that aren't grown with pesticides .. Does anyone know what kind of herbs or veggie plants that Russians like?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

You can sink a potted hosta right in your substrate in it's pot. Or what about Carex or Fescue grasses? They don't eat those (other than a taste) but they do love digging under them. Might want to leave them in the pot too, lol.

Squash plants are fine for tortoises, they can eat leaves or blossoms, which are very good for them.

noved32

5 Year Member
Thank u.. I pretty much wanted to know what veggie plant they could eat the leave and blooms that I could buy already grown.. I don't expect any veggie plant I put In to actually live long enough to give actual veggies lol so I'm happy to hear a squash plant is okay. I planned on adding a parsley and sage plant as well all nestled together..

Status
Not open for further replies.