Building Assistance/ Advice

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I am mid- build on my outdoor heated winter enclosure! But alas, I have gotten a bit stuck! Please help me decide on a hinged top and door!
I planned on just doing a modified barn door style with the hinge on bottom (for the door) so it could double as an entry/ exit ramp- and the same atyle top, hinged in back so it can be lifted to clean area. 20201118_172142.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your plan sounds about right. Just make sure that you use heavier gauge hinges on the roof/lid especially if you are making it a double piece/fully insulated.

This looks like you are building in a barn? Is that the final place for your night box?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It is inside my greenhouse! That way, in case of cold temps I can still open to clean, without directly exposing them to the bitter cold outside chill!

Gotcha. Where are you located? Also, if you’re not done insulating yet, think about using the rigid foam stuff instead of the fluffy pink insulation. Less area for bugs or mice to infest & the foam doesnt hold moisture.

Heating. Mini radiator? Or are you going with a RHP on the roof & Kane heat mat on the floor (tied into one thermostat)?

Good luck.

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I am in central Arkansas, Agricultural Zone 3. I have the majority of my insulating complete- just lacking the lid & door segments.
I am currently building my daughter a home, so I had plenty of this style insulation, all- new, available to use. I dont have the cash to go buy a different kind when I already have this for use. It is all enclosed and sealed, so I have high hopes! My plan for heating is an oil filled radiator style heater plus UVA/ B overhead and CHEs- all on thermostat and timers, and I will be utilizing shelves to accomodate water containers to maintain humidty levels.
Thank You so much for your assistance! If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please dont hesitate to reply or contact me in a conversation. I was hoping to get Toms (and others') opinions as well, so I await receipt of more replies!

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am in central Arkansas, Agricultural Zone 3. I have the majority of my insulating complete- just lacking the lid & door segments.
I am currently building my daughter a home, so I had plenty of this style insulation, all- new, available to use. I dont have the cash to go buy a different kind when I already have this for use. It is all enclosed and sealed, so I have high hopes! My plan for heating is an oil filled radiator style heater plus UVA/ B overhead and CHEs- all on thermostat and timers, and I will be utilizing shelves to accomodate water containers to maintain humidty levels.
Thank You so much for your assistance! If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please dont hesitate to reply or contact me in a conversation. I was hoping to get Toms (and others') opinions as well, so I await receipt of more replies!
Hi from a fellow Arkansan. We are near Little Rock. I think we are USDA zone 8 here though (wouldn't guess it, given all the inches of ice we have all kver the ground on our hill right now!).

I don't really have anything useful to add to your thread. The heated house looks great. What species is going in there?
I have a small group of CB Russian tortoises, and Leopard tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks a bit too tall inside. The taller you make it the harder it is to heat it. Your thermometer will tell you when you've got it right. A computer fan might help to push the warmed air back down to where the tortoises is, and a Kane mat will help ensure the tortoise isn't losing too much heat through the floor.

I wouldn't use any lights inside a sulcata night box. Its supposed to simulate a burrow for them.

I also wouldn't use any CHEs over any larger tortoise in an application like this. They run too hot and tend to slow burn the carapace.