Brocoli bad for Torts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is brocoli bad for torts or can they have it once in while? I have one, Thelma, that really likes it. How do you get them to eat Collard greens, they really don't like that! They do however like cactus pads.

chrisknakmuhs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Evansville, IN
im very new to the whole tortoise scene but from what ive been reading, brocoli is bad for them, im not sure why though, but ive read they can have it every once inna while in small quantities.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I see no problem once in a great while as treat. Do you have a good source of cactus, if so that is a great source of nutrients. I'd suggest mixing collards with the cactus.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Broccoli should only be given once in a while, no more than once a month. It as well as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale and spinach bind the calcium in the plant so make it unavailable to your tortoise.
You can try Romaine, Green leaf and Red leaf lettuce, Escarole, Curly Endive, Chicory and Dandelion greens. Cactus pads are also excellent.
So are weeds, like these http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6800

Danny

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi,
Broccoli should only be given once in a while, no more than once a month. It as well as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale and spinach bind the calcium in the plant so make it unavailable to your tortoise.
You can try Romaine, Green leaf and Red leaf lettuce, Escarole, Curly Endive, Chicory and Dandelion greens. Cactus pads are also excellent.
So are weeds, like these http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6800

Danny

Well then, I guess I will toss the broccoli in my fridge out. Thanks so much.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cvalda said:
or you could eat it yourself! :p

I thought about that before I tossed it. Ya know, there is more tort and turtle food in my fridge than people food. :p

old4x4

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
It as well as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale and spinach bind the calcium in the plant so make it unavailable to your tortoise.

Danny

What if it's dusted with an 'external source' of calcium?

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So brocili is bad for them? shame my little guy loves it only the bristley part thou, y is it bad?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rosiee said:
So brocili is bad for them? shame my little guy loves it only the bristley part thou, y is it bad?

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the oxalates that do the binding:

Spinach also has a high calcium content. However, the oxalate content in spinach binds with calcium decreasing its absorption. By way of comparison, the body can absorb about half of the calcium present in broccoli, yet only around 5% of the calcium in spinach. Oxalate is one of a number of factors that can contribute to gout and kidney stones. Equally or more notable factors contributing to calcium stones are: genetic tendency, high intake of animal protein, excess calcium intake, excess vitamin D, prolonged immobility, hyperparathyroidism, renal tubular acidosis, and excess dietary fiber (Williams, 1993).

So you want to use veggies that have a high oxalate content, sparingly. It only binds the calcium in that serving of the veggie. It doesn't matter that that ONE meal doesn't include calcium. It only matters if you feed a high oxalate veggie all the time.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.