Bricks

Wherethetortiroam

5 Year Member
Hello all. I'm building a new enclosure for my yellowfoot Herbert and before going to far, wanted to know is it ok to use cinder blocks or red stone pavers as a way to build up the inside of her bathtub/waterfall? It's build to be deep for filtration purposes and needs built up enough though so she don't drown.

I didn't know if maybe over time the Portland in the bricks or the color in the stepping stones would deplete into the water causing health issues down the road?

Thanks for the help guys!

image.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Concrete will not hurt a turtle if it is in it's water. Actually the only thing concrete does leach is a very small amount of Lime/Calcium. This makes the water rise in PH when the concrete is new, but continually decreases over time to a very trace amount. In building a new pond of concrete, it is the PH I need to watch at first, and adjust, but only for the fish in the pond. The turtles are not affected, unless you have a species who does much better in soft water. For a tortoise, no harm. In fact - the water will have a bit of calcium carbonate in it!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I use some of those red pavers in my turtle pond for close to 30 years I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. the same ones for 30 years I might add.