Breeding questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Hi,

I have 2 female adult redfoots, and I am thinking about adding a male. First I have a few questions. How large are their clutch sizes, and how many clutches can they lay per year. I know I can find this online but I am asking those who have had experince breeding. I am getting very conflicting numbers when I researched. Also, what dose it take to get them to breed other then basic care?

I keep mine in a 14x14ft green house all year round. They have a pond and basking area. It stays 76 in there currently. The basking spot is 95-100. The humidity is low tho. I have thought about closeing up a frame used for aquaponic grow beds ( 1.5ft tallx 7ft long, and 3ft deep). with clear plastic to make a sort of "humid hide" with bulb in there. They always venture under there ( especially when I flood it). Share your experince...

Thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I don't know a thing about breeding RF's, but I would love to see a picture of your green house.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
terryo said:
I don't know a thing about breeding RF's, but I would love to see a picture of your green house.

I showed the pictures last summer ( you may remember) it was a very dusty walled in pen with a nasty old plastic pond. Ive done alot to it since then. I created a concrete pond, put down mulch, installed a burrow, and closed in the pen turning it into a green house. I, unfortunately do not have any current pics of the green house. Once it is all planted and finally finished ( which i hope will be VERY soon) i will be shareing with everyone. Might even make a video. The green house is more like a "room" with a bunch of windows so the indside is its own ecosystem ( or it will be)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
It depends on the size of your females which will determine the size of the clutches. There are various factors that will also determine the amount of clutches. If your females are first time breeders, you may get several empty holes or broken eggs. It takes about three years for them to get the hang of it.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have had clutches of anywhere from 2 to 10 eggs. I have also had a female lay as many as 3 clutches of eggs per year. Best wishes.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
My 1998 hatchlings began to become quite consistent at age 8.. around 11" SCL.. 5-9 eggs per clutch.. as many as 4 clutches per year. As they have grown they lay larger but 6-8 eggs per clutch. And hatch rate has increased also.

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.