Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Anyone know any dog breeders in Colorado, Nebraska, or Kansas. I'm not sure what kind I want but just tell me who they are and what type the breed. Thank you :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
be very careful who you find... Nebraska and Kansas especially... Lots of puppy Mills out that way...
You really should narrow it down to what you are looking for, and what would fit your lifestyle etc.
Im sure you have an Animal Shelter near you.. or if you have a Dog show come thru town, go take a look and see
what you like.
There is a big difference in a chihuahua and a great dane!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
If you don't have your heart set on a particular breed, then why look for a breeder? There are many, many dogs that need homes and love in animal shelters everywhere. Both adult dogs and puppies alike. Please don't give money to a breeder. Adopt and save a life. Please.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Exactly what Lisa says, but hey give me some ideas of what kind of dog do you want....attitude, size....how big is your yard....where do you live and how hot will it get there. I know about every breeder out there just lemme know what dog you pick....fyi a great dog is a cane corso...they don't eat much for a big dog and they are loyal and super smart....mine learned all of its basic commands the first week i got him.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
Exactly what Lisa says, but hey give me some ideas of what kind of dog do you want....attitude, size....how big is your yard....where do you live and how hot will it get there. I know about every breeder out there just lemme know what dog you pick....fyi a great dog is a cane corso...they don't eat much for a big dog and they are loyal and super smart....mine learned all of its basic commands the first week i got him.

I have a huge yard and I live in a house so big or small would be fine. Umm during the summer it gets to like 100

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Will you have the dog inside from time to time, or is it going to be outside all day? A great dog that can handle high heats are australian kelpies!

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
AustinASU said:
Will you have the dog inside from time to time, or is it going to be outside all day? A great dog that can handle high heats are australian kelpies!

Inside from time to time but I'll look them up

lisa127 said:
If you don't have your heart set on a particular breed, then why look for a breeder? There are many, many dogs that need homes and love in animal shelters everywhere. Both adult dogs and puppies alike. Please don't give money to a breeder. Adopt and save a life. Please.

I have always had bad luck with sheltered dogs. Every single one I got I just had to give away. But I have never had any trouble with dogs from breeders. So I guess that's why

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Also i'd suggest the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, i know a breeder in Nebraska "Boss Dog Kennels." 402-880-7639.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
joshtaylor123 said:
Anyone know any dog breeders in Colorado, Nebraska, or Kansas. I'm not sure what kind I want but just tell me who they are and what type the breed. Thank you :)

There are literally thousands, it all depends on what breed of dog you want and what you want to do with it.

Like everyone else has said, if you don't have your heart set on anything in particular, go to a shelter and see what you can find. I definitely understand the benefits of going to a well established, reputable breeder, though. If you have a particular breed in mind, I can give you all kinds of names of breeders and even breed specific rescues, since I live in the area you mentioned and am very involved in the dog community here in Nebraska.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
futureleopardtortoise said:
There are literally thousands, it all depends on what breed of dog you want and what you want to do with it.

Like everyone else has said, if you don't have your heart set on anything in particular, go to a shelter and see what you can find. I definitely understand the benefits of going to a well established, reputable breeder, though. If you have a particular breed in mind, I can give you all kinds of names of breeders and even breed specific rescues, since I live in the area you mentioned and am very involved in the dog community here in Nebraska.

Umm I want a medium/large dog. I was thinking either a lab, a German short haired pointer, or a Boxer. Pros and cons of each??

Niki

5 Year Member
There are so many great dogs at the pound, or a rescue can help you find a specific breed... Please adopt one!! Pound puppies are the best!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
joshtaylor123 said:
AustinASU said:

Inside from time to time but I'll look them up

lisa127 said:

I have always had bad luck with sheltered dogs. Every single one I got I just had to give away. But I have never had any trouble with dogs from breeders. So I guess that's why

Dogs are just like people. They each have their own faults....there is no perfect dog. We don't give away our human children when they are not perfect.

If you are worried about it, you can find a young puppy from a shelter as well. I adopted my 11 year old mutt from an animal shelter when she was 8 weeks old. Therefore, she came with no issues. The purebred dog I have has had more issues in his life than my shelter mutt ever did.

Particularly this time of year you should not have a problem finding a young puppy in a shelter. Especially labs and boxers and mixes of them. Two of the most popular breeds. No shortage of them. You can look on Petfinder for your area. Not only may shelters have young puppies, private rescues are bound to as well.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
lisa127 said:
Dogs are just like people. They each have their own faults....there is no perfect dog. We don't give away our human children when they are not perfect.

If you are worried about it, you can find a young puppy from a shelter as well. I adopted my 11 year old mutt from an animal shelter when she was 8 weeks old. Therefore, she came with no issues. The purebred dog I have has had more issues in his life than my shelter mutt ever did.

Particularly this time of year you should not have a problem finding a young puppy in a shelter. Especially labs and boxers and mixes of them. Two of the most popular breeds. No shortage of them. You can look on Petfinder for your area. Not only may shelters have young puppies, private rescues are bound to as well.

I found a few I was intrested in on that website! Thank you !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Labs are great dogs, very common so will posess alot of inbred medical traits like hip displasia, ear infections, they love the water. Boxers are not going to be an outside dog they are a brachycephalic breed. Which means they are classified in with pugs, boston terriers, french and american bull dogs. The smooshed face does not allow them to take excessive heat very well. Down here in texas when I worked at a vet I saw numerous heat stroke cases in these brachycephalic breeds. Sad but lots to look into when getting a dog ESPECIALLY for outside. German short haired pointers are great dogs. they need a large yard, as they are a working class species, and can run an owner crazy if they dont get constant workout like fetch, or retrieving, or very long walks. They are very very smart. Just do alot of research and find a breed that is right for you. If you dont want a shelter dog, you can also find breed specific societies that adopt out. Like lab rescue, or dalmation rescue. Theres alot out there that need great owners and homes.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
joshtaylor123 said:
lisa127 said:

I found a few I was intrested in on that website! Thank you !

Awesome! You're welcome. And the great thing is you can put in your zipcode along with exactly what you're looking for. Very useful!

tortadise said:
Labs are great dogs, very common so will posess alot of inbred medical traits like hip displasia, ear infections, they love the water. Boxers are not going to be an outside dog they are a brachycephalic breed. Which means they are classified in with pugs, boston terriers, french and american bull dogs. The smooshed face does not allow them to take excessive heat very well. Down here in texas when I worked at a vet I saw numerous heat stroke cases in these brachycephalic breeds. Sad but lots to look into when getting a dog ESPECIALLY for outside. German short haired pointers are great dogs. they need a large yard, as they are a working class species, and can run an owner crazy if they dont get constant workout like fetch, or retrieving, or very long walks. They are very very smart. Just do alot of research and find a breed that is right for you. If you dont want a shelter dog, you can also find breed specific societies that adopt out. Like lab rescue, or dalmation rescue. Theres alot out there that need great owners and homes.

I'm hoping this dog is not going to be a 24/7 outside dog. No dog should be.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:

Thanks for the help!!! I really looking at a German short haired pointer cause I can supply all it needs by the look of it!!!

lisa127 said:
Awesome! You're welcome. And the great thing is you can put in your zipcode along with exactly what you're looking for. Very useful!

I'm hoping this dog is not going to be a 24/7 outside dog. No dog should be.

It won't be outside all the time

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I definitely understand the pros of going to a breeder. If you are looking for specific temperamental or physical traits, breeders are the way to go. Especially with something like a lab, you could be getting anything out of the shelter. But for the most part, if you just want a family pet, shelters are a good place to go to.

I like boxers because most of them have such goofball personalities. Labs are really great dogs for beginner dog owners, too, but can sometimes be a little... high strung, as can all the other breeds you mentioned, though. German shepherds can be a little iffy with temperament, depending on what lines you go through, and they have some of the worst physical defects out there. If I were to ever get a German Shepherd, and they are one of my dream dogs, I would save up and buy out of Germany, where they are still breeding them right, as opposed to here in the states where even in the good breeders you will find roach backs and hip dysplasia.

Status
Not open for further replies.