Breakfast time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
Breakfast time! One comes, all comes, one right after the other, tell me these tortoises Don't communicate with each other!

grogansilver

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
That's cool! Glad they're all willing to share with each other.
GeoTerraTestudo Hi can you please check out my post on Russian beak let me know what you think and what is MBD?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
grogansilver said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
That's cool! Glad they're all willing to share with each other.
GeoTerraTestudo Hi can you please check out my post on Russian beak let me know what you think and what is MBD?

Hi, Grogan. Yes, I saw the pictures you posted in that thread ("Russian tortoise beak?"), and it looks like Kristina has offered you some good advice there. MBD stands for metabolic bone disease, which happens when a reptile does not get enough vitamin D3 to incorporate calcium into its skeleton. Because the body needs calcium for other things besides bone density (like nerves and muscles), the skeleton gets weak. The result can be misshapen limbs, a soft shell, or a protruding facial structure, depending on severity. The disease can be arrested with good diet, but sadly, the morphology cannot. Fortunately, the beak is made of keratin, not bone (the bone is underneath), so an overgrown beak can be worn down. Looks like you gave him a bit of a trimming, which is fine, although the sides still seem a bit long. As Kristine sad, letting him eat tough foods, gnawing on a cuttle bone, or feeding him on a hard concrete slab should help with the rest. Personally, I have never needed to trim a beak, and if I did, I would be too scared to do it, since they can be botched pretty easily by amateurs and professionals alike. If my turtle had a really overgrown beak, and if feeding on tough things was not enough, I would take him to a veterinarian whom I was sure knew how to do the procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.