Box Turtle on Craigslist (Oregon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Holy Cow! I feel seriously bad for this turtle. His growth is SO stunted. Man that's bad. I'd take him, but with my feet broken I can't push on the throttle or the brake. I'm a 2 footed driver and both my feet are damaged. If somebody else could go get him I could provide a place to live...

Shalon

5 Year Member
I emailed them to see if I could pick him up.
I would love to keep him but am not sure that we have the room for him. If I can get him we can bring him to you.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Looks like a male for sure...see how his carapace isn't so domed? Pretty boy. It'd be great if someone could bring him to Mags.

Shalon

5 Year Member
He's free so they probably got quite a few emails from people. Hopefully they get back to me though.
There was also a Russian Tortoise and a couple Red Ear Sliders (which are illegal in Oregon) listed for sale from different people. I don't have the extra $$ to get them, although I would if I had it. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Question, why are RES illegal in oregon?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because when people don't want them anymore they've been releasing them into Oregon's waterways and they compete with the less aggressive pond turtle.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Unfortunately, there are also two species of non-native turtles in Oregon that out-compete native turtles for nesting areas, basking sites and suitable habitat. They are red-eared sliders and common snapping turtles. Red-eared sliders have red “ears” (markings) on the side of their heads. Snapping turtles are very large with a big head and long jagged tail; they are especially destructive as they consume native fish, plants and wildlife.

It is illegal in the state to buy, sell, possess or release either of these non-native turtles. If you’ve just realized you are in possession of a non-native turtle, contact your local ODFW office.

From: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2008/july/071108.asp

Shalon

5 Year Member
I never heard from the owner. :(
Hopefully someone that knows about turtles got him.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
At the zoo in Portland they have a whole set up to try and breed and release endangered native Oregon turtles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.