Boosting Humidity in your RF enclosure via Heat ropes (Lots of pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I've responded to many posts on how to boost humidity and thought this might be helpful for folks that haven't received the information. This idea is not original, Mark (Madkins007) deserves the credit, I'm just posting my interpretation and what has worked for me.

I gutted the enclosure, and I really like this cypress mulch I found at Lowe's - it's milled to a pretty fine and soft material that my two yearlings can burrow into:
2jg6x52.jpg

I have a pond liner inside the enclosure to protect the wood from all the moisture, these are also the two heat ropes I'm using. Dimensions are 4.5ft x 3ft
f50sh.jpg

I attach the heat ropes to Hardware cloth using the wire that the manufacturer bails it with. Don't over-tighten the wire on the heat rope(s), you don't want to slice through the protective waterproof coating:
6qguq0.jpg

I use these ropes (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) but there are others out there that are just as good. Just be sure they are waterproof!

One half:
534x7l.jpg

and the other:
29gc3gy.jpg

After that, I cover it with about 3-4 inches of cypress mulch. I dig a pit in the mulch ~ 1-2 times per week and add 250-500ml of water to each side of the enclosure. The reason I dig the pit is to keep the top layers of mulch dry and decrease plastron rot from forming. Obviously I fill the pit in after pouring in the water.
52vj9.jpg

The entire enclosure is topped with plexiglass to keep humidity in:
10hm2he.jpg

Some shots of the completed project (they've eaten most of the live spider plants, I'm potting more)
28jfsao.jpg

One of the clay pot hides:
30lc7dw.jpg

Exploring the cool end
25z1no8.jpg

Eating some mushrooms:
zyhx68.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
That was a great walk through for a solid enclosure. The two look fantastic and happy.

Allegra

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice instructions. Thank you for posting. Wish I could get that cypress mulch in AZ. Our Lowe's doesn't carry it.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
allegraf said:
That was a great walk through for a solid enclosure. The two look fantastic and happy.

Allegra
They seem to be, but I know they (and I) are looking forward to an outdoor setup in the near future. I'm still applying for jobs, but I did pass my MS defense, now it's just some thesis edits and on to bigger and better things! Once I know where I'll be, I'll get in touch with you to see about any oranges you may still have around. Rafiki's neck colors are really coming in strong!
24xe3aw.jpg

terryo said:
Fantastic post Chris. Your enclosure is great!
Coming from you Terry, this is quite the compliment, thanks! Like I said, they ate a lot of the live plants, so it looks a bit barren, but I'm potting more spider plants now. I love spider plants because you can just keep clipping the small offshoots from the "mother" plants providing a near endless supply! Usually their hides are like caves, with the entrance surrounded by plants.

DesertGrandma said:
Nice instructions. Thank you for posting. Wish I could get that cypress mulch in AZ. Our Lowe's doesn't carry it.

It's too bad the bag weighs 30-40lbs...otherwise we could ship some out for you, but the cost of shipping is likely 4-5 times the cost of the mulch... I'd stick with whatever you're using in AZ instead!

Thanks Biggie, I hope BigRed and Princess' clutches have all panned out well for you guys!?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
ALDABRAMAN said:
Nice series of pictures, I like your idea.

Thanks Greg :D. I was looking through the picture forum and your gentle giants appear to be happy (and entertaining) as ever!

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Hamilton, ON
Wow, thank you so very much for posting this! I just recently got my red foot and i will be taking ideas from here for sure! Loveeee the setup! thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Nicely done- almost an Instructables! (http://www.instructables.com/ hint, hint!)

The cables used, in my experience, last 6-12 months probably depending on how hot they get, which is determined by how often they run, how wet they are kept, and how closely together they are spaced. They also average about 90F by themselves- perfect for generating a 'soft heat' while not getting hot enough to risk the materials used in construction. They get hotter if they are spaced more closely.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
So when you say the cables typically last 6-12 months, you are talking about the heat ropes? That would seem to be a fairly short lifespan having to buy new ropes every year or half year?

IF you don't want to use any type of soil and can't find cypress mulch in your area, is there any other recommended substrate to use with the heat ropes and to help give off humidity?

Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The relatively short life of the ropes IN MY EXPERIENCE ONLY is usually due to doing something that causes them to overheat, such as running them too close together and letting them dry out. Considering their relatively low cost, that does not bother me a whole ton- I usually just replace the substrate at the same time.

Pretty much any hardwood mulch or ground wood that does not smell like pine, cedar, or chemicals should work. What stuff is available at your local garden stores cheap?

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Thanks, I will have to get back to you on what hardwood mulch is available. I just thought I read somewhere else that cypress mulch in the PNW is not readily available at Lowes or whatnot.

From your experience, about how far apart would you want the ropes to be from each other to try an add longevity to their use?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
Thanks, I will have to get back to you on what hardwood mulch is available. I just thought I read somewhere else that cypress mulch in the PNW is not readily available at Lowes or whatnot.

From your experience, about how far apart would you want the ropes to be from each other to try an add longevity to their use?

I just moved from Syracuse, NY to Maine, and I'll tell you I can't find Cypress or Hardwood mulch anywhere in the Bangor area! I've tried Agway, Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, multiple garden centers and still nada! I can relate...

I haven't tried variable spacing of the ropes to test differences in longevity. Hydrokable (on Amazon.com) makes a decent rope too. I just picked one of those up to see if there's a difference in longevity between them and Big Apple.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
When I spaced them about 1.5" apart, I got really nice warmth in a very chilly winter, but they did not hold up as well, and went through a lot of water.

About 2" apart did better overall- but as long as you don't lock them down too tightly you can always dig them up and adjust them if you need.

Part of this is also substrate thickness, room temps and humidity, etc. so it is really hard to talk about absolutes here.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, this gives me some guidelines at least to work with.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Went to some stores like Wal Mart, Home Depot, and some local gardening stores and none of them carry the Cypress Mulch. I haven't yet gone to the local Lowes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pretty much the only hardwood mulch I can find is Cedar and "brown" mulch. I am really not finding much of anything else. I have used soil in the past but it ended up having too many bug problems.

I am frustrated because I have the enclosure built, but am waiting on heat ropes and more importantly the right mulch.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
mightymizz said:
Went to some stores like Wal Mart, Home Depot, and some local gardening stores and none of them carry the Cypress Mulch. I haven't yet gone to the local Lowes, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pretty much the only hardwood mulch I can find is Cedar and "brown" mulch. I am really not finding much of anything else. I have used soil in the past but it ended up having too many bug problems.

I am frustrated because I have the enclosure built, but am waiting on heat ropes and more importantly the right mulch.

Like I said earlier, I ran into similar problems in Maine. Things were great in NY for cypress mulch! There is none in Maine I'm quite convinced.

Try Agway and some local gardening centers/nurseries if you have any in your area, otherwise you may be out of luck...

stenkamp

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I've responded to many posts on how to boost humidity and thought this might be helpful for folks that haven't received the information. This idea is not original, Mark (Madkins007) deserves the credit, I'm just posting my interpretation and what has worked for me.

I gutted the enclosure, and I really like this cypress mulch I found at Lowe's - it's milled to a pretty fine and soft material that my two yearlings can burrow into:

I have a pond liner inside the enclosure to protect the wood from all the moisture, these are also the two heat ropes I'm using. Dimensions are 4.5ft x 3ft

I attach the heat ropes to Hardware cloth using the wire that the manufacturer bails it with. Don't over-tighten the wire on the heat rope(s), you don't want to slice through the protective waterproof coating:

I use these ropes (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes) but there are others out there that are just as good. Just be sure they are waterproof!

One half:

and the other:

After that, I cover it with about 3-4 inches of cypress mulch. I dig a pit in the mulch ~ 1-2 times per week and add 250-500ml of water to each side of the enclosure. The reason I dig the pit is to keep the top layers of mulch dry and decrease plastron rot from forming. Obviously I fill the pit in after pouring in the water.

The entire enclosure is topped with plexiglass to keep humidity in:

Some shots of the completed project (they've eaten most of the live spider plants, I'm potting more)

One of the clay pot hides:

Exploring the cool end

Eating some mushrooms:

Do you prefer using a humidifier instead of the moss you can dampen daily? I have a yellow foot and am trying to figure out what is best for her.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
stenkamp said:
Do you prefer using a humidifier instead of the moss you can dampen daily? I have a yellow foot and am trying to figure out what is best for her.

I don't use moss at all, just cypress and heat ropes. The heat ropes and excess water at the base of the enclosure act as a humidifier. I've been giving coconut coir a try in their hides because it's soft and they can really burrow into it, but I'm not convinced that the torts care too much. I haven't noticed them burrowing into the coir anymore than the cypress mulch. If you can find some pretty finely milled mulch, it's pretty soft and allows the torts to snuggle into it quite well.

I may give the long-fibered moss another shot, but I had issues with shell rot when I used it previously in their hides.

Status
Not open for further replies.