Bob's Carapace...

M

Maggie Cummings

@argus333
I was very sick for some months and my neighbors took care of my animals. I had no idea that Bob's Powersun 150 watt UVB bulb was 3 inches from his carapace. I live in Oregon where it rains or snows for 7 months. He might not go outside for weeks, so he needs a UVB /basking bulb...
1FNPMZT4_1QP90ifsLdnpi5axPE0g5qaWY8XzQ0hWWs=s180-p-no
80ujdX2V7hmiIWvdVqrhemnqc8y_nRuyuZJ0yFeWKPU=s180-p-no
QW5ZmLhXzIDm--sPjIY2WYWmqNhhA0oSwZTrBi8wFUo=s180-p-no

argus333

5 Year Member
doesn't look to bad. let me know if vitimin e helps i have a female with weird shell id like to try it too.

M

Maggie Cummings

This does not look too bad....
S5DBHkFGZu89ZJhp_V-bVadn1ABovap900DAfK_U398=w221-h165-p-no
This is damaged and looks horrible. Maybe my pictures are not showing how bad it is
I can put my finger into this groove up to the first knuckle. Look at the second pix in the thread. Those are scutes that maybe, are going to come off exposing bone. Bone gets infected, tort dies. So it IS bad. The Vet says it will take years to fix the damage. I keep Vitamin E oil on it, but so far that just collects dirt. But I do it and his carapace still feels dry and flaky. Bad doings in the Cummings household...

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
Oh my goodness!

Back in the day when we had 2 males, WalkingRock would mount Rocky in an attempt to run him off but we thought we had a male and female and let WalkingRock continue to mount. After we discovered Rocky was a male and not a female (named Ro-Shell) and separated the two, we discovered that WalkingRock had rubbed a hole in the bottom of his shell from all the mounting. That was 7 years ago.... there is still a ragged scare where the hole was. There was also attemps buy WalkingRock to smash Rocky against a wall.... that was when we had to rehome Rocky.... to this day he (Rocky) still has a dent on his side where WalkingRock ALMOST succeeded in Killing him.... took the better part of 3 years for his (Rocky) scutes to heal back together. Today he kinda looks like a VW Beetle with a crushed in passenger door.

Repairing a damaged Carapace is a long journey for a Tort. I hope only the best for Bob!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, the pictures don't show it as bad as you describe it. I have no idea what you could do for this, if anything. Just a thought. Oil, like you said can collect lots of dirt. What if you used Aloe or some of the other products other members have used on their torts shells. @Zamric uses something that has worked for him for growing great looking smooth leopard shells.. Maybe what he uses or some of the other stuff out there would help you in this different situation. Just a thought. Good luck. I'm sure if the scute falls off, no doubt he will be fine, he has a mom that will keep it clean and let it heal.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
@argus333
I was very sick for some months and my neighbors took care of my animals. I had no idea that Bob's Powersun 150 watt UVB bulb was 3 inches from his carapace. I live in Oregon where it rains or snows for 7 months. He might not go outside for weeks, so he needs a UVB /basking bulb...
80ujdX2V7hmiIWvdVqrhemnqc8y_nRuyuZJ0yFeWKPU=s180-p-no
QW5ZmLhXzIDm--sPjIY2WYWmqNhhA0oSwZTrBi8wFUo=s180-p-no

Hi Maggie....how long ago did this happen?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Do you think that cold pressed coconut oil would help at all? Poor fella.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I know this wouldn't be any less messy (probably more so, in fact), but what about honey? It's anti-microbial properties have been used to heal humans for a long time -- does anyone know if it has the same effects on tortoises? Maybe it could help heal the damage while keeping it from getting infected...?

Poor Bob!