Bob, the jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I just now tried to install Bob's new pig blanket in his sleeping box. It took me about an hour, (I am not a good carpenter like my sister). At one point he came in his shed, saw me on my belly in the box, tried to eat my painted toes, sniffed and took an experimental bite out of my leg and I was just pretty darned helpless in that position. Then he tried to climb in the box over me! It is so intimidating to be on the same level as a big Sulcata, and he was squishing me. Anyhow, I saved myself and then his saw the new bright orange mat. He was so curious, sniffing it and at one point trying to bite it. He investigated it for about 10 minutes before he goes "huh!" and went back outside....sometimes he's so funny...

M

Maggie Cummings

Turning around by Walker is the same, face towards the wall fence or whatever, A couple years ago I set a 110 gallon tank beside a shed with a few inches of water in it.When I put it there I made sure Walker could walk between them with room to spare. You know when you move or add something new in an adult sulcatas living area they need to investigate. He walked around it a couple of times and then decided to turn around when between them, it became almost comical watching him, first one way then the other. I didn't notice which way he was facing but in a short time he had moved the tank enough so that he was able to turn around. They are smart and will test you every chance they get, I have to do a dance just to sweep the concrete patio when he is awake.
I'm so glad to find out they almost all do it and Bob is not as dumb as I sometimes think...:)

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
A couple years ago I set a 110 gallon tank beside a shed with a few inches of water in it.When I put it there I made sure Walker could walk between them with room to spare. He walked around it a couple of times and then decided to turn around when between them, it became almost comical watching him, first one way then the other. I didn't notice which way he was facing but in a short time he had moved the tank enough so that he was able to turn.

It's funny how nothing can be against the wall. Ezzie will walk, stop, weigh up the object in her way, WALK AROUND IT and then push it out of the way from the other side just so she can walk behind it next to the wall. They're all mad.

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
I just now tried to install Bob's new pig blanket in his sleeping box. It took me about an hour, (I am not a good carpenter like my sister). At one point he came in his shed, saw me on my belly in the box, tried to eat my painted toes, sniffed and took an experimental bite out of my leg and I was just pretty darned helpless in that position. Then he tried to climb in the box over me! It is so intimidating to be on the same level as a big Sulcata, and he was squishing me. Anyhow, I saved myself and then his saw the new bright orange mat. He was so curious, sniffing it and at one point trying to bite it. He investigated it for about 10 minutes before he goes "huh!" and went back outside....sometimes he's so funny...

Lol!!! thats too funny, thanks for the morning chuckle.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Tank knocked over my avocado tree pot today! Bad Tank!
...this is another habit WalkingRock has! I have several metal stands to elevate potted plants off the ground.... WalkingRock is constantly knocking these over and if the pot is ceramic, it has a 50/50 chance of breaking.

A couple of years ago Chihuly had a beautiful glass exhibit here at the Dallas Arboritum and Cathie and I purchased a lovely glass bird bath to put in the yard. Can you guess what happened to it? Yup! Knocked over and broke into 3 pieces... right in front of us! I must say, it was the 1st time I've ever seen Cathie truly pissed off at WalkingRock for anything! (Just how do you discipline a 120lb Tortoise?)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
So he's 2 yrs younger then Bob and 30 pounds lighter. I hope you don't mind when I say...I AM SO glad he does bad stuff too. I was afraid Bob had a mental problem and resented me as his keeper...LOL

I never really thought about it being a safety factor. That's pretty good thinking on your part. Poor Bob's face always looks like he ran into a cheese grater...

I expect WalkingRock will gain @ 15 lbs this year

M

Maggie Cummings

(Just how do you discipline a 120lb Tortoise?)[/QUOTE]

Very carefully, knowing it won't work! That's why Bob is fenced off from my part of the yard and there is nothing in his pen but him...

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Oh wow! So far Tank has not been so destructive, but looks like you've got an intelligent bulldozer on your hands!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

So destructive haha

No actually, they really are not destructive the way I think of the word. They are strong, insensitive, nosy, fun, some are not very intelligent and they are just so adventurous. I don't think they are deliberately destructive, "go around" is not in their vocabulary. "bull-headed"is.
There's the old story about a large Sulcata who got stuck underneath a VW bus, after trying to get out he just gave up and walked with that bus on his back. That was actually on the news. I saw it, so it's not an old wives tale. They are just so immensely strong, and just not too smart. I believe it is up to us as their keepers to protect them from themselves...they are indeed, bulldozers in our yards who go where ever they want and poop...a lot

Of course, my Bob is smarter then most...tee hee

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Haha Maggie. Bob cracks me up. My big guys and girl are kinda boring. From time to time they will do some random acts of destruction. But there's not much in the pasture for them to get in the path of their curiosity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen videos on the 'net of sulcatas walking around with garden furniture on their backs or the Weber grill on their back.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
No actually, they really are not destructive the way I think of the word. They are strong, insensitive, nosy, fun, some are not very intelligent and they are just so adventurous. I don't think they are deliberately destructive, "go around" is not in their vocabulary. "bull-headed"is.
There's the old story about a large Sulcata who got stuck underneath a VW bus, after trying to get out he just gave up and walked with that bus on his back. That was actually on the news. I saw it, so it's not an old wives tale. They are just so immensely strong, and just not too smart. I believe it is up to us as their keepers to protect them from themselves...they are indeed, bulldozers in our yards who go where ever they want and poop...a lot

Of course, my Bob is smarter then most...tee hee

A VW bus??????? Holy Cow!!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Walker got so bad about moving these chairs around I finally moved all 5 of them to the front yard. chair 2.jpg chair 1.jpg He had an adventure with a crab pot a few years ago that no one witnessed, but he won. Just glad he wasn't hurt, can't say the same about the crab pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.