Bob eats poop.

Oldbro

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Started taking our 1 year old Tort out in the yard on warm days. He‘s very active, eats well but has an affinity for sun dried poop. He find stuff we cant see, by digging down in the grass.
He will graze on grass and clover but goes wild on poop. Is this a problem? We let him roam while were sitting outside Watching him. Probably should just build him a mobile pen and check the area for problems. He seems to be doing ok, Small for his age 220 grams at one year. Kept in a climate controlled 18x36 terrarium at 80-98 degrees and 80% +- humidity.

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
All of my desert tortoises and my leopard tortoise are wildly fond of dog poop. I have to meticulously rake and pick up after the dogs dump because every tortoise that can get at it will eat it. They’re worse than the flies I swear. I don’t think there’s any sort of nutritional deficiency in any of my animals, but they sure do like that dog poop. They like to eat each other’s poop as well but not like the dog poop.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Started taking our 1 year old Tort out in the yard on warm days. He‘s very active, eats well but has an affinity for sun dried poop. He find stuff we cant see, by digging down in the grass.
He will graze on grass and clover but goes wild on poop. Is this a problem? We let him roam while were sitting outside Watching him. Probably should just build him a mobile pen and check the area for problems. He seems to be doing ok, Small for his age 220 grams at one year. Kept in a climate controlled 18x36 terrarium at 80-98 degrees and 80% +- humidity.
The tortoise needs its own dedicated area where the dog isn't allowed.

Also, letting thew tortoise roam free is a recipe for disaster. We see it here over and over again. You are very likely to lose your tortoise in one of many ways if you continue doing this. Make an enclosure. Its cheap and easy.

18x36 is way too small. That is the bare minimum for starting a brand new tiny hatchling. At 220 grams and a year old, he is in need of a much large enclosure.

Give this a read for more info: