Blue and orange male :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Of course these pictures do him no justice but this another of my young ImageUploadedByTortForum1378768595.110427.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378768611.534808.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378768625.948867.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378768637.651632.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1378768651.593279.jpgprized LA gulf coast box turtles. He had a lighter head color even as a juvi but this year in particular it has started to become a deeper blue/white and his orange neck and legs are growing in color. Again these pictures do NOT capture the contrast that you see in person. Enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So FL
What percentage of gulf coasts have that much color?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks finally some love lol

His shell pattern is fairly normal, legs are above average in color, but I've never ever seen or heard of a Louisiana Gulf coast with blue or white on the head in any amount let alone that much and at that young of an age.

And that my friends was a textbook RUN ON sentence lol.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
WOW!!! You have so many gorgeous boxies! He is another stunner for sure!! I just LOVE your pics!! There are awesome and wonderful and priceless!!... hows that for some love?? lol :)
I LOVE BOXIES!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
He seems to love the camera as much as it loves him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
He is an active fellow and does not like to stay still. Those were the best of SEVERAL photos taken (like 30) lol

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
The father of one of my babies was blue. I hope my baby turns out somewhat blue!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks again guys. The coolest part is that he is still a young turtle. So it should only get more blue with more coverage with time. Eventually his entire head could be a solid blue . How cool would that be?!? :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful GC. Gulf Coast BT's are so fasinating to me. Some are drab with almost no coloring, and then again some have the blue and white, and the pattern that your's has. Mine is totally different. I don't know where he is from, but he is just starting to get lots of color on his neck and legs and head. The pattern on his shell is very different than yours.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Terryo post a picture if yours if you get a chance. I would love to see it and possibly help narrow down the locality. :) Gulf Coast are my passion

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Dang man! That turtle is a stunner! I love my colorful three toeds but your gulfies take the cake. That guy is indigo. What a beauty!
T

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I've found a few males with blue on their heads and one that had a lot of blue AND yellow. The general idea is that the older animals develop the white but but I've seen plenty of males that had white and were clearly not old.

This is the only photo of a gulf coastie that I have readily available to post. Most of the blue was on the underside of his neck.
He was found crossing Hwy 65 in the Apalachicola National Forest. We released him a short distance away back into the forest.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
I've found a few males with blue on their heads and one that had a lot of blue AND yellow. The general idea is that the older animals develop the white but but I've seen plenty of males that had white and were clearly not old.

This is the only photo of a gulf coastie that I have readily available to post. Most of the blue was on the underside of his neck.
He was found crossing Hwy 65 in the Apalachicola National Forest. We released him a short distance away back into the forest.

Yeh there are definitely some incredible Gulf Coast from the Florida Panhandle area with all white heads and blue cheeks/necks. I've seen some mind blowing males in the past and would love to see any other pictures you may be able to find of males from that area.

The main reason I love my male is that blue/white headed males are unheard of down here. I know a few older cajun men who used to catch reptiles for a living and I have showed them pictures of my blue headed male and not one has ever seen anything like it (and I know they have all seen thousands of turtles in the past).

So it's just an extremely rare trait in Louisiana and I'm beyond lucky to have raised this beautiful creature. His personality is just as awesome as his looks! He is one of my favorite animals. Walks right up to me every single time I go in my yard and he is always out making his rounds, plus he loves the ladies lol.

I hope to have him in an isolated breeding program either next year or the year after.
Thanks again for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.