Biting

JoshGoldberg

My sulcata has just started biting me and i dont know why. Should i give her some meat or something and see?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
No meat. Have you been hand feeding? I have never had a tortoise bite unless they thought it was food.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No meat. You may want to offer more food. Mainly stop handling the tortoise and don't make yourself a target.

Others with experience with sulcata aggression should weigh in.

JoshGoldberg

No meat. You may want to offer more food. Mainly stop handling the tortoise and don't make yourself a target.

Others with experience with sulcata aggression should weigh in.
She doesnt eat food if it is in her tank. She will only eat if she is grazing

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
no meat like said above.some tight because they're curious some bite because they're mean.it may pass just be careful their beaks are sharp

cassieopia

5 Year Member
Central Arkansas, Zone 3
I've only been bitten once- I was hand- feeding and it was all my fault. He took a chunk out of the end of my finger! Don't let him do it!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Dude. Its a tortoise. Move your hand out of the way...

And stop hand feeding...
I just finished cleaning the soda off my screen !!
m01100.gif
m01100.gif

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've been bitten once in 39 years, while breaking up a rumble between two male box turtles. That was the only time ever I didn't pick up a turtle or tortoise from behind. He was lunging at the smaller male with murder in mind, and my hand got in the way. Big guy glommed onto the meat of my palm, and it hurt. So here's this big old gulf coast turtle dangling in the air, holding on tighter and tighter for dear life, and I'm wondering how I'm going to convince him to let go without hurting or scaring him, and wondering if I can stand the pain while he bites through my hand.

Painful experience. I walked right into it.

LDRANCH

Simi Valley, CA
I have a different issue with hand feeding. When I hold Charlie's food for him, he frequently becomes so overcome with joy, that he can't hold it in (his boy part that is). Halfway through the food he gets up on his toes and starts squeeking and backing up. He gets so excited that he can't eat anymore. It's ridiculous! My husband is starting to get jealous. :)

JoshGoldberg

Dude. Its a tortoise. Move your hand out of the way...

And stop hand feeding...
I only hand feed when she isnt eating anything. And that is rarely. She grazes all of the time and i only put food in my hand if she is struggling to eat it. I pull on the peice of grass and she pulls on her end and it breaks off, then i feed her the tougher peices like that. But funny comment

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've been bitten once in 39 years, while breaking up a rumble between two male box turtles. That was the only time ever I didn't pick up a turtle or tortoise from behind. He was lunging at the smaller male with murder in mind, and my hand got in the way. Big guy glommed onto the meat of my palm, and it hurt. So here's this big old gulf coast turtle dangling in the air, holding on tighter and tighter for dear life, and I'm wondering how I'm going to convince him to let go without hurting or scaring him, and wondering if I can stand the pain while he bites through my hand.

Painful experience. I walked right into it.
OUCH!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a different issue with hand feeding. When I hold Charlie's food for him, he frequently becomes so overcome with joy, that he can't hold it in (his boy part that is). Halfway through the food he gets up on his toes and starts squeeking and backing up. He gets so excited that he can't eat anymore. It's ridiculous! My husband is starting to get jealous. :)
Oh man, I almost snorted iced tea out of MY nose.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This is hilarious!

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
@JoshGoldberg This is funny because one of my sulcata in my juvenile group loves to bite my feet each time i'm in the enclosure. To me it seems to be a warning to stay out of his land because he always runs after me until he makes sure i'm not in the enclosure. Seems like some just like to keep there territory safe.

Alaskamike

South Florida
My little Sully "Tiny", at 9 lbs took a nip at my toes one day, didn't really bite down hard, I think he was just testing to see if they were food. When he comes around I watch my toes now.
My experience has been the bite when-
- Testing to see if something is edible (painted toenails are very vulnerable)
- Trying to get something to move out of their territory (the cat, another tortoise, a puppy, a ball)
- You hand feed them and get your fingers too close

I have great respect for the jaws of a Sulcata, especially a big one.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This is the same animal that recognizes the sound of my truck in the driveway and is pounding on the back sliding door when I come home from work. My husband is home all day and says that there is no sign of Charlie until I'm home. He LOVES me. ;)
That is adorable! I bet your husband is jealous!