Big and expensive sulcata

Ergotaxon

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, TX
I’ve had my sulcata tortoise for about 27 years. He is a cherished family pet. He came down with a respiratory infection yesterday. This is the first time he’s ever been sick. The veterinarian that I took him to didn’t have enough antibiotics on hand to treat him. He exhausted his supply with two injections and will have to order more for my 130 pound sulcata. It will end up costing me about $300 for the course that he needs. Some food for thought, especially for those that are tempted to purchase an inexpensive tortoise. He is extremely destructive and takes up my entire backyard. I live in South Texas and the relatively warm weather is not enough to grow the grass that he needs to eat. I have to supplement with grocery store greens and Mazuri. I’m hoping that the initial antibiotic injections will help. If I decide to purchase additional antibiotics I will have paid $430 for treatment. We’re not even sure if the infection is bacterial at this point, only time will tell. The veterinarian did collect some of his discharge for testing though.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They are not cheap pets with their welfare requirements enclosure, diet, heat, light, substrate! Good luck with the medicines and hope he has a fast recovery.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve had my sulcata tortoise for about 27 years. He is a cherished family pet. He came down with a respiratory infection yesterday. This is the first time he’s ever been sick. The veterinarian that I took him to didn’t have enough antibiotics on hand to treat him. He exhausted his supply with two injections and will have to order more for my 130 pound sulcata. It will end up costing me about $300 for the course that he needs. Some food for thought, especially for those that are tempted to purchase an inexpensive tortoise. He is extremely destructive and takes up my entire backyard. I live in South Texas and the relatively warm weather is not enough to grow the grass that he needs to eat. I have to supplement with grocery store greens and Mazuri. I’m hoping that the initial antibiotic injections will help. If I decide to purchase additional antibiotics I will have paid $430 for treatment. We’re not even sure if the infection is bacterial at this point, only time will tell. The veterinarian did collect some of his discharge for testing though.
Did the vet do anything to determine WHY the tortoise got sick? They are not like us. They don't get sick for no apparent reason. They usually get sick when night temps drop too low, especially with high humidity. Does your big boy have a heated night box? Have you checked the temps lately to make sure all the electrical equipment is functioning properly?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope the vet knows what he's talking about. What were the symptoms you noticed that made you bring him into a vet? Most times, if it's just a runny nose, the temps can be raised for a week or so. What tests were done at the vets office to make the determination of an RI?
Good luck, hope it's not a waste of money.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
What antibiotic did the vet prescribe? Are you going to have the vet send samples out and what are they planning on testing for?

I remember that you have radiateds, do you have other tortoises as well? Has this sulcata been in contact with any of them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Veterinary care can be very expensive.
I once spent about 2 grand on a $200 Redfoot. Getting her well.(Queen Bertha)
But I can tell you that it's very satisfying to see the animal 100% healthy once again. Regardless of the cost.
You're a great human being for taking your obligation so seriously. And I'm wishing y'all the best!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
unless the vet looked at a smear under a microscope, he doesn't really KNOW that your tortoise has an infection, he's just guessing because of the drippy nose. I totally agree with what Barb and Tom told you. With our changing weather I'm willing to bet your big boy got too cold one night. All it takes to CURE that is warm him up and heat his night house. Antibiotics have no effect on a drippy nose caused by getting too cold.

Stress is another thing that causes a runny nose. And antibiotics don't cure stress.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
Veterinary care can be very expensive.
I once spent about 2 grand on a $200 Redfoot. Getting her well.(Queen Bertha)
But I can tell you that it's very satisfying to see the animal 100% healthy once again. Regardless of the cost.
You're a great human being for taking your obligation so seriously. And I'm wishing y'all the best!
Thanks, he made a full recovery. My neighbor found him as a yearling about 27 years ago. I have no idea where he came from. I’ve had him ever since. Temperature has been near 100 and 80 in the morning. He refuses to use his heated house. I’m very thankful for the veterinarian. He has done well with the last two respiratory infections that my tortoises have had. Take care!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He refuses to use his heated house.
They all do, until you teach them to do it. Never have I put a new box into any tortoise pen and had them just start using it. I always have to put them in it every night, for at least a couple of weeks and sometimes several months. Sometimes the weather has to change, either hot to cold, or cold to hot, for them to want to start using their heated boxes on their own. In addition to ensuring they never get too cool, the boxes also protect them from all the nocturnal pests and predators. Rats and dogs can still chew on a 150 pound giant. Ants, raccoons, coyotes... the list is endless.

Not making them use the shelter is risking their health. That is likely why you keep getting respiratory infections.

ryan57

PA
unless the vet looked at a smear under a microscope, he doesn't really KNOW that your tortoise has an infection, he's just guessing because of the drippy nose. I totally agree with what Barb and Tom told you. With our changing weather I'm willing to bet your big boy got too cold one night. All it takes to CURE that is warm him up and heat his night house. Antibiotics have no effect on a drippy nose caused by getting too cold.

Stress is another thing that causes a runny nose. And antibiotics don't cure stress.
X-ray is where I could clearly see a unilateral infection of the lung vs the other side. X-rays confirm a diagnosis of a RI. Heat was not fixing it as it progressed during the week with more heat as more lethargy, etc set in.

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
He knows where his heated home is
X-ray is where I could clearly see a unilateral infection of the lung vs the other side. X-rays confirm a diagnosis of a RI. Heat was not fixing it as it progressed during the week with more heat as more lethargy, etc set in.
That’s good to know. The vet made made a guess and guessed right. It only took one dose of antibiotics as well. He is back to his normal self. Thank goodness. His eyes were swollen and he kept trying to cough up mucus. I’ve had him for 27 years and he has never been sick.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
A respiratory infection is likely just a symptom, like a cough, sneeze or fever. The cause cannot be determined in your average vets office as it requires culture in the case of Mycoplasma which takes weeks for the tortoise varities, and/or PCR.

If the respiratory infection is a symptom of Mycoplasma or Herpesvirus increased heat alone will not cure it. Neither will antibiotics though for that matter. Both may help resolve the symptoms but its still going to be there.