Best way to measure your tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
flip tort on back take straight ruler and measure front tip of shell to rear tip of shell, this will give you the true lengh of your tort.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
There is a sticky that Maggie3fan wrote. It is called how to measure a tortoise, or something like that, at the top of these threads. Read it. It has pictures and detailed instructions. That is the way I do it.:)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I do it this way: Place them face first into a wall or similar flat level object. Make sure their shell is touching the wall or whatever it is you are using. Take a stick, rock, or pencil and make a mark in the dirt where the back-most tip of the tortoise is, and use a tape measure to measure the distance from the wall/object to the mark you made.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Put the tape measure up to the wall, on the floor. Place the tortoise up against the wall with his head retracted. Read the tape measure at the back of the tortoise's shell. This is called SCL - either straight center line or straight carapace length.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I now use calipers, for for the small torts I use the slide type, and for Walker I use the type that resemble the thing used to carry block ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.