Best Substrate for Indoor Russian Enclosure

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have one male Russian tortoise, around 20 yrs old, and now have the space available for a bigger indoor enclosure (new house!). I probably have a few feet in both the length and width of the future enclosure's surface area. I'm not yet sure what kind of materials to build the enclosure out of, but I'm more concerned with the best substrate material. So far I have seen mulch, orchid bark, dirt, and coco coir listed in the forums, but I haven't been able to find one thread that contains a lot of information on this topic (sorry, I'm still new here!). I am still willing to go all out on my little dude's new home. :D I want him to be the healthy and happy, with lots of space to roam! I'd love to hear everyone's great ideas!! Feel free to leave any building/materials tips and hints as well. Your help is greatly appreciated (and yes, will post pictures in the future!) :tort: Thanks in advance!

(I'll also probably work on a little garden for him in the backyard next spring too, but for now, one project at a time.) ;)

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
I use a mixture of coco coir and plain dirt from my backyard. I like this because you can keep the underneath moist and the top level dry. It provides good footing for the tortoise and is easy to dig into. I think it makes a for a good microclimate, allowing the tortoise to be "damp" when he wants to and dry when he wants to.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
Laurie said:
I use a mixture of coco coir and plain dirt from my backyard. I like this because you can keep the underneath moist and the top level dry. It provides good footing for the tortoise and is easy to dig into. I think it makes a for a good microclimate, allowing the tortoise to be "damp" when he wants to and dry when he wants to.

I have also been looking for this info so thanks

From Ella

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Laurie said:

Probably a silly question, but is dirt from outside OK to keep indoors? Isn't there a need to worry about bugs? Also, how often do you change the substrate and how thick of a layer is it (e.g., a few inches deep)?

Thanks for the response! :D

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I use sphag peat moss. I get a huge, and I mean huge, block of it at Lowes for $10 and he loves burrowing in it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
gieseygirly said:
I use sphag peat moss. I get a huge, and I mean huge, block of it at Lowes for $10 and he loves burrowing in it.

Thanks for the Lowe's tip too! I have a coupon for there! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any of the substrates you mentioned will work just fine. It often boils down to personal preference.

Yard dirt works fine too, but it just depends on the composition of YOUR yard dirt. Same with the bugs. I figure that my torts live on that same dirt with all those bugs and microbes when they are outside, so why couldn't they live on it inside too?

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Oxalis said:
gieseygirly said:

Thanks for the Lowe's tip too! I have a coupon for there! ;)

It's 100% organic too, so it's perfectly safe :D

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
gieseygirly said:

How often do you put in fresh substrate?

Thanks, guys! Now I'll be sure to get a hygrometer! :tort:

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Do indoor enclosures (or "tortoise tables") made from wood get moldy or anything from the substrate? I see a lot of enclosures made from wood and I wonder how long them keep, or if another material is a better option? Any takers?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oxalis said:
gieseygirly said:

How often do you put in fresh substrate?

Thanks, guys! Now I'll be sure to get a hygrometer! :tort:

I spot clean daily and remove any uneaten food bits or poops. Other than that, I don't ever replace the substrate, unless a new tortoise is going in that enclosure.

Oxalis said:
Do indoor enclosures (or "tortoise tables") made from wood get moldy or anything from the substrate? I see a lot of enclosures made from wood and I wonder how long them keep, or if another material is a better option? Any takers?

Some people put down plastic liners, water sealers or paint. I leave mine exposed and untreated and it really depends on the moisture level and conditions in your house. I just put a plastic liner in one of my older cages, because after more than a decade of dampness, the wood was looking a little worse for the wear. My other enclosure of the same age is looking fine though.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I use coco coir for my Russian and my Sulcata. I just spot clean it and change it all out maybe every 3 to 4 months. Love the stuff.