Best book for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynx1ca

5 Year Member
Aside from the information contained in this forum, can somebody recommend a good tortoise book for beginners? Is there one that stands out above the rest?

Thanks
Travis

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
I haven't seen one. Tortoises for Dummies was cool but I contains wrong info about substrate and other little things.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All the books that I know of contain outdated, incorrect info. There is no better source of good info on the planet than this forum and its members. There is a really good sulcata book that is out of print called "The Crying Tortoise". You can't have my copy. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feel the same as Tom. This is where you will get all the correct up to date info and the experience to back it up. Why would you even want to read a book when you have access to the free caring, correct info on this forum. Plus you would be spending money on a book that is wrong. Crazy:p:D. Just kidding about the crazy but not about the book stuff.:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you wanting a general one or a specific one?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
wellington said:
I feel the same as Tom. This is where you will get all the correct up to date info and the experience to back it up. Why would you even want to read a book when you have access to the free caring, correct info on this forum. Plus you would be spending money on a book that is wrong. Crazy:p:D. Just kidding about the crazy but not about the book stuff.:)

We shouldn't discount good books with cited references and supporting research. This forum is an excellent resource, but there are also fantastic books that are not outdated and do share correct husbandry practices for some species. Tom posted one previously for Sulcatas, I have posted one as well for Redfoots. Perhaps some are outdated, but not all are "wrong". It's a sweeping generalization to state otherwise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Redstrike said:
We shouldn't discount good books with cited references and supporting research. This forum is an excellent resource, but there are also fantastic books that are not outdated and do share correct husbandry practices for some species. Tom posted one previously for Sulcatas, I have posted one as well for Redfoots. Perhaps some are outdated, but not all are "wrong". It's a sweeping generalization to state otherwise.

Thank you for stating so well, what I had thought but didn't know how to put into words!

chicagojohn

5 Year Member
The single best reference I've seen, and I have not done a comprehensive literature search, is Andy Highfields book: Practical Encyclopedia of Keeping and Breeding Tortoises and Fresh Water Turtles. It is out of print, but I checked the other day and you can pick up a used copy for around $40 USD. I paid $50 for my copy 16 years ago. It has sections on all major genus/species, nutritional analysis tables etc.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a few categories of information that can help a new keeper, and there are good books in each.

General information on turtles and tortoises. My favorite for this is "Turtles: An Extraordinary Natural History 245 Million Years in the Making" by Carl Franklin, 2007. Great overall info and a decent section on most genera.

Encyclopedia of species. My two favorites are "Encyclopedia of Turtles" by Dr. Peter Pritchard, 1979. $60, or "Turtles of the World" by Dupree, Devaux, and Bonin, (translated by Dr, Pritchard). 2006. $63.

General care. This is trickier, but overall I like "Tortoises: A Beginner's Guide to Tortoise Care", $9.95 and "Popular Tortoises (Advanced Vivarium Systems)", $8.95, although the 'For Dummies' and the "Idiots Guide To" are OK as well.

In my personal opinion- find a book that has a decent reputation and that you enjoy reading. It will help you build a foundation that the forum, more specific books, and good sites can add to.

Blastoise

5 Year Member
For Russian Tortoises and Testudo in general I recommend "Russian Tortoises, A Complete Guide to Testudo" by E.J. Pirog. 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.