Best bedding

Limey

Location (City and/or State)
Plant City FL.
What is the best bedding to use for my 50lb Sulcata? He has a large enclosure with a covered area with sides to sleep in at night. I’m thinking about when it gets in the 40s here on Florida.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the best bedding to use for my 50lb Sulcata? He has a large enclosure with a covered area with sides to sleep in at night. I’m thinking about when it gets in the 40s here on Florida.
Tortoises that large need to live outside. They don't need bedding, they need a well insulated, heated night shelter, and lots of ground to walk on outside of their box.

Like this:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises that large need to live outside. They don't need bedding, they need a well insulated, heated night shelter, and lots of ground to walk on outside of their box.

Like this:
Single Tortoise Night Box
I like my larger tortoises to live outside full time. My climate permits this year round with a little help. For people who live where it snows all winter, this type of box is still good for warmer weather, getting them out earlier in Spring, and keeping them out a bit later into fall. You'll...
tortoiseforum.org

Limey

Plant City FL.

Like this:
Single Tortoise Night Box
I like my larger tortoises to live outside full time. My climate permits this year round with a little help. For people who live where it snows all winter, this type of box is still good for warmer weather, getting them out earlier in Spring, and keeping them out a bit later into fall. You'll...
tortoiseforum.org
Thanks Tom. I wa thinking about putting straw in for the winter. We can get get down into the low 30s with frost some times

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. I wa thinking about putting straw in for the winter. We can get get down into the low 30s with frost some times
I wouldn't. It just makes a mess and will get moldy in your wet climate.

Straw works like a blanket for mammals. It insulates them and helps to retain thereat they are generating. It does nothing for a reptile that isn't generating heat.

Make an insulated box with a door and heat it with the recommended heating devices, and you won't need straw or any other bedding in the sleeping area.

Here is a second way to do it: