Bells boys mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
My 2 Bells Hinge Back males were trying to breed each other once in a while but I am noticing this is now a daily occurrence.
Do you think this is healthy?
It appears to be the same guy mounting the other one and neither looked concerned or trying to get away etc.

This makes it even more difficult being unable to find them a female friend too:rolleyes:

Is it ok to let them continue?
They are always together within 6 inches of each other and I have not seen any fighting behaviour so far.

Thanks

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It may be a posturing behavior to establish dominance. I would monitor the submissive one to be sure it is feeding properly. If the dominant one is causing undue stress to the submissive one, preventing access to feed or otherwise affecting its behavior, I would consider separating them.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
HLogic said:
It may be a posturing behavior to establish dominance. I would monitor the submissive one to be sure it is feeding properly. If the dominant one is causing undue stress to the submissive one, preventing access to feed or otherwise affecting its behavior, I would consider separating them.

Thanks Hlogic
I have weight records of these boys right from hatching and they have been pretty close in weight over the years and continue to be, I'll keep updating their weights though as things could change as they are maturing. they are 5 and a half yrs from the same hatch.
They grew up together, could it be they like being with each other at all? or is that too human a perspective? (if you know what I mean?)
Louise

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Can Jingle and Spud easily hide out from each other? Sounds like a dominance ting, which can become straight stressful bullying. :( As long as they can escape each other and nobody gets harmed or stressed out, it is fairly normal.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Jacqui said:
Can Jingle and Spud easily hide out from each other? Sounds like a dominance ting, which can become straight stressful bullying. :( As long as they can escape each other and nobody gets harmed or stressed out, it is fairly normal.
They don't have an enormous space inside or out but seem to be close to each other at all times. They are rarely apart-are you thinking this is subtle bullying as one could always be following the other?How would I interpret if one is stressed by this?
they both eat well and active etc almost the same weights and always lived together right from hatching out.

The breeding behaviour has definitely increased in frequency and its always the same one on top.I couldn't make out for a start what the strange sneezing sounds were-in fact I thought my red foots were sneezing, The breeding noises are very different to Pepito's clucking like a chicken!:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LOL yes the sounds are very different and distinctive. :D My Bells thru the years, have always seemed to maintain a much closer bond with their cagemates then my other tortoises. I have exceptions too of course. So no, it may not be bullying at this point. Just watch carefully and try to create more visual barriers just in case one does want to escape for a bit. Plastic plants, especially vines seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.