Behavior

I have a Russian tortoise that has some behaviour things that I don't know if they are normal. I assume they are but I am going to ask anyway. Simeon hisses a lot, every time something moves near him he makes a hiss noise, he also sleeps all day. He has occasional outbursts of energy and goes wild but most of they time he sleeps. He has a pretty steady diet but I am still figuring out what I should be feeding him. Any input is more than welcome! Thanks

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
About the sleeping thing that is normal the hissing may or may not be okay what is your tempature and humidity parameters also can you post a pic of your enclosure

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have a Russian tortoise that has some behaviour things that I don't know if they are normal. I assume they are but I am going to ask anyway. Simeon hisses a lot, every time something moves near him he makes a hiss noise, he also sleeps all day. He has occasional outbursts of energy and goes wild but most of they time he sleeps. He has a pretty steady diet but I am still figuring out what I should be feeding him. Any input is more than welcome! Thanks
How old is he? My tort sometimes sounds as if its hissing when he pulls his head in quickly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hissing is normal it is a defense mechanism. when startled or scared it will hiss trying to scare whatever is holding ityou into letting it go