1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
  2. Hey Guest! Pre-order your 2015 Tortoise Calendar TODAY! Proceeds go to keeping TFO online and FREE for everyone! Thanks for your love and support!

Beet leaves for the tortoises?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Candy, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy

Candy Active Member

My sons girlfriend sent over some beet leaves for the tortoises and I was wondering if they can eat them? :)
  2. N2TORTS

N2TORTS Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    You betcha ,,,dem greens are good for you and the torts!

Scientific Binomial Name: Beta vulgaris

Beet Greens are very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. They're also a good source of Protein, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a great source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
    Some ….“Beat Green” triva …..Incorporating beet leaves into your eating plan helps you get the vitamin C your body requires every day, which is important because your body does not have the capability to store this vitamin. A 1-cup serving of these greens contains 60 percent of the daily recommended intake. Vitamin C helps repair tissues and cells in your body, making it vital for wound healing. It is the vitamin A content that sets beet leaves apart, though -- each 1-cup serving provides 220 percent of the daily recommended intake. Your immune system depends on vitamin A, working with vitamin C to help make you well when you are sick or injured. Vitamin A also helps maintain your vision, particularly your night vision.

Happy Tort~N
    JD :)
  3. Candy

Candy Active Member

Thank you Jeff. ;) Just wasn't sure since I did see a few places where they were questionable for the tortoises, but since you feed them to yours I know that they're alright for mine. :)
  4. N2TORTS

N2TORTS Well-Known Member

You betcha Miss Candy ' ..... I'd never steer ya wrong... where ya been?:rolleyes:
  5. Candy

Candy Active Member

I'm still here just not as much lately. I've been helping with my sons tortoises at his school so I have two more Desert Tortoises living here right now. They're happy and that's all that matters. :)