batheing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustytrailzz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am a new tortoise mom. I'm pretty sure I have his diet, lighting, home down; I have heard people talking of washing their tortoise. Do You use soap and a scrub brush? Just water? Turtle wax? Haha trying to be funny, but really I have seen some pretty shiny healthy looking shells. "Wickie's" shell looks good, but not shiny. I haven't seen any tortoise shampoo or anything of that nature in pet stores, So, I guess I'm curious.

Attachments

• P1030974.JPG
    P1030974.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 42

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Once a month (next weekend, in fact), I give my herd of Red-foots a warm soak and gentle cleaning so they look good for their weighing, measurements, and photos. I just use warm water and a washcloth unless they are dirtier than that for some reason, then I use a nylon scouring pad or old toothbrush.

I am not a fan of oils, lotions, waxes, creams, conditioners, etc. although if I am showing them off I dab a little olive or vegetable oil on a couple fingertips and gently rub a drop all over.

They do make a 'shell conditioner' and similar products that may have a value in some situations- but again, I am not a fan.

dustytrailzz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Do you just do their shell? Or do you wash everything? Thanks for your response.

longbeachskunk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Long Beach Ca.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them to wipe down their little legs and necks as well.

dustytrailzz said:
Do you just do their shell? Or do you wash everything? Thanks for your response.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I soak all my torts at least every 2 weeks if not more, and like many use a soft fingernail brush or a soft toothbrush and water. Never soap. I too am not a fan of any thing on their shells, ie, conditionerd, wax, even oil. I think they are beautiful with the natural look. Oh and "Wickie's" is a very nice looking tort.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
dustytrailzz said:
Hi everyone! I am a new tortoise mom. I'm pretty sure I have his diet, lighting, home down; I have heard people talking of washing their tortoise. Do You use soap and a scrub brush? Just water? Turtle wax? Haha trying to be funny, but really I have seen some pretty shiny healthy looking shells. "Wickie's" shell looks good, but not shiny. I haven't seen any tortoise shampoo or anything of that nature in pet stores, So, I guess I'm curious.

hi just looked at your picture your tortoise is lovely.please dont be tempted to put anything on his shell the natural look is much better for them also if you use oil over a period of time it effects the colour and he will become very dark and drab.a warm water soak twice a week would do him the world of good and help to keep him hydrated. also he will need access to fresh water 24/7.after his soak a quick wipe over or scrub with an old toothbrush will make him look like a new tortoise.
terry

Status
Not open for further replies.