basking temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have a basking temp. of 117 for my leopard tortoise. i had a 75w soft white regular and it temp at 93 so i changed it to a halogen and it temps at 117 and i cannot raise it any higher. what other bulb can i use?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How much space is between the light bulb and the top of your tort, inches? Do you have another source for UVB? If so, try a CHE. If you need the basking to be UVB, try the smaller watt MVB. However, with any of the basking bulbs, there is a certain amount of space that is suppose to be between the bulb and the tort. It should say how many inches from tort on the packaging. If you don't have at least that amount, you may have to revamp you enclosure top.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
wellington said:
How much space is between the light bulb and the top of your tort, inches? Do you have another source for UVB? If so, try a CHE. If you need the basking to be UVB, try the smaller watt MVB. However, with any of the basking bulbs, there is a certain amount of space that is suppose to be between the bulb and the tort. It should say how many inches from tort on the packaging. If you don't have at least that amount, you may have to revamp you enclosure top.

there's 20" from the halogen to the tortoise. i have a 10.0 uvb tube that's 2' long and stretches across most of the enclosure. this is probably 2' above the enclosure, it really doesn't add much heat. the only other light i have is a foot long grow light for the plants and that's 12" high. and i hearing pad in the humid hide.

where the enclosure is located i have a slanted ceiling so i could only raise the light so far. so i was just wondering if maybe people use a 100w regular bulb for basking or have any other suggestions?

don't really want to buy a bunch of different bulbs to find the right one, but i might have to loll

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, you can use a regular bulb. As long as you have other UVB source, which you do, it's not a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You'll have to buy and try a few different types to get the right fit if your fixture cannot move. The regular round types can work in a hood, but I've always preferred floods if you can find a wattage that works for you.

Right now I'm using a 65 watt flood at about 18" to get a basking spot of 95-100. I bought a six pack of these since they work so well.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
A 10.0 UVB tube at 24 inches away is probably too far. My 10.0 tube says on the box that it's effective up to 20", so your tort probably isn't benefiting from one that's 2 feet away.

Instead of thinking about raising a more powerful light, how about lowering a less powerful one? I use zoo med lamp stands to adjust the lights up or down.

Status
Not open for further replies.