Basking bulb blown

THEADEMARCO

Location (City and/or State)
London
Today while misting my tortoise's enclosure, I heard an explosion on the other side of it. My head snapped toward the sound only to see that his basking bulb had blown. I managed to pick out all the pieces of glass!
It is 7:50am where I am and my tortoise is not yet awake, but it looks like he will be having a bit of a cold day. I have a CHE but only one and the enclosure it quite big so should definitely have more heat sources. When I get home, I will be sure to give Lenny an extra long and warm soak. :)
Does anyone have any basking bulbs that they recommend? I'm less worried about the price and more about Lenny, but I am pretty sure I bought a shoddy one because it has only lasted a month.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If it occurred while you were misting, it may have been caused by some of the water mist landing on the hot bulb.

THEADEMARCO

London
I did consider that, but i was misting the other side of the enclosure and i always take care to not get any water on my lights.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You can look at Phillips or Arcadia lamps. But any lamp can blow up because of water drops (be it misting, condensate and such).

If misting is really necessary (usually pouring water in the corners is sufficient), my suggestion is to turn the lamp off and let it cool down.

You can add a protector mesh to the lamp dome, so if accident happens again all glass shards remained inside the dome.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Today while misting my tortoise's enclosure, I heard an explosion on the other side of it. My head snapped toward the sound only to see that his basking bulb had blown. I managed to pick out all the pieces of glass!
It is 7:50am where I am and my tortoise is not yet awake, but it looks like he will be having a bit of a cold day. I have a CHE but only one and the enclosure it quite frombig so should definitely have more heat sources. When I get home, I will be sure to give Lenny an extra long and warm soak. :)
Does anyone have any basking bulbs that they recommend? I'm less worried about the price and more about Lenny, but I am pretty sure I bought a shoddy one because it has only lasted a month.
I get plenty of heat from 60 watt incandescents. I had stockpiled some, but you can still get them online (from China). Or a 65 watt from an Aces Hardware.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Incandescent flood bulbs should be used for basking. They are fairly cheap but hard to find. Look on Amazon they are the cheapest. Arcadia carries some too but more expensive.