barrys going outside please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry horsfield

5 Year Member
hiya my mate barry is going outside later this year when things warm up so im in the process of prepairing his new home but im a little unsure on a few things so would be greatfull for any help.

he will be in the lean-to shed extension at the bottom of our garden (about 7ft by 3ft), the lean-to shed is slabbed on the inside and im aware that he likes to dig! so my 1st question is

(1st)can i build a brick or wooden box inside the shed and fill it with soil for him to dig into?

(2nd) if so will it be effective because it obviously wont be under ground!

(3rd) what are the effective insulation distance of soil? if that makes sense. i.e what size and depth should it be.

(4th) shall i put carpet ontop of the slabs to make them less cold

(5th) what watt bulb shall i have in there and where abouts in the shed should i place it?

ive got a million and one other questions, so i hope to hear you guys and girls information no matter how basic. sorry if im a little unknolageable thanks ben

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Ben:

Let me see if I'm getting the picture...

You have a lean-to shed that's on a cement slab and this is where you want to put your Russian tortoise, Barry Horsfield.

It would be much better for Barry if you could put him on the ground instead of on a slab. Yes, they do dig, but you can always fix that so he can't escape.

Can you take a picture of the shed and let us see what you're talking about?

barry horsfield

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Ben:

Let me see if I'm getting the picture...

You have a lean-to shed that's on a cement slab and this is where you want to put your Russian tortoise, Barry Horsfield.

It would be much better for Barry if you could put him on the ground instead of on a slab. Yes, they do dig, but you can always fix that so he can't escape.

Can you take a picture of the shed and let us see what you're talking about?

cheers for the replys, sorry if i was unclear, he is a russian tortoise called barry.
i forgot to mention that he will have the run of the garden as well, ( im in the process of digging in edging boards so he cant escape under the fence) and the shed will be his sleeping/burrowing quarters.
ill try and get a freind to take a pic of the shed soon so you guys can see what i mean. the slabs cannot be taken up as its a rented property , thats why im thinking of building him a big box full of mud to dig into. however it is ok for me to put a layer of soil or whatever you surjest on top of the slabs to insulate them but i cant remove them. ill post my plans soon. cheers in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.